Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 - Rooting and recovery of Playstore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
**************************************************************************************************************
***MODERATORS NOTE*** DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. ROOTING IS NOT RECOMMENDED EVER FOR AN ST16. THIS IS NOT A REGULAR TABLET AND YUNEEC PUT SAFEGUARDS IN PLACE FOR A REASON. A ROOTED CONTROLLER MAY ALSO HAVE LEGAL ISSUES WITH THE AVIATION AUTHORITY IN THE COUNTRY WHERE YOU LIVE AS IT IS NO LONGER SET UP AS IT WAS FROM THE FACTORY TO COMPLY WITH A COUNTRIES LAWS.

IF YOU DO ATTEMPT THIS, DO NOT LOOK FOR OR ASK MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM FOR HELP AFTER. ROOTING YOUR DEVICE WILL ALSO VOID YOUR WARRANTY. ONCE YOUR DEVICE HAS BEEN ROOTED, YOU MOST LIKELY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET ANY HELP WITH OTHER ISSUES RELATED TO THE ST16 AS IT HAS BEEN ROOTED.

Yuneec Drone Forum AND DronePilots.zone - The World's Largest Drone Community DO NOT ENDORSE ROOTING YOUR DEVICE, NOR DO WE ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU DOING THIS.

PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION

**************************************************************************************************************

Hello all.
This is my first post in this forum, I am asking for your understanding if something wrong with the forum rules.

First important information:
- I am not responsible for damage to the transmitter and the drone. You do it at your own risk.
- It is important to follow all steps.
- You can always restore the transmitter to the factory software

I checked everything on my two ST16.
I have been following and helping on the XDA-Developers forum for many years. I also created my own compilations of Windows Mobile and Android systems. I don't like anyone telling me that something can not be done. I often devote a lot of time to solve problems.
I also decided to find a method to repair Playstore, etc. on ST16.
Because Yuneec complicates users' work and there is no way to update the maps and Playstore doesn't work, I decided to fix it. Unfortunately, the Yuneec firmware is packaged and password protected and I don't have the possibility to create my own update but the following steps allow you to ROOT the system on ST16 and install the new Playstore and then update the maps, etc.

List of files that we will need and which need to be downloaded:
http://pinelesssey.nazwa.pl/files/IntelAndroid-FBRL-07-24-2015.zip
http://pinelesssey.nazwa.pl/files/SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip
http://pinelesssey.nazwa.pl/files/rootexplorer_4.2.1.apk
http://pinelesssey.nazwa.pl/files/open_gapps-x86-4.4-pico-20181222.zip
Please download all files but unpack on PC only IntelAndroid-FBRL-07-24-2015.zip

Here we go:
1. Preparation of ST16...
- on your ST16 select "PAD" and confirm "OK"
- go to the "Settings" -> "About tablet" and at the bottom tap severals times on "Build number" - will be displayed "You are a developer".
- go back one level to "Settings" and go to the "Developer options" and at the top right side, switch to "ON" on the display, make sure it is marked "USB debugging" below
- install drivers from: Intel® USB Driver for Android* Devices
- connect ST16 to the PC
- copy SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip to ST16 internal memory, etc. root or download folder

2. ROOTing...
- find a folder with unpacked IntelAndroid-FBRL-07-24-2015 files
- run launcher.bat as Administrator
- type "ACCEPT" and confirm by ENTER
- type 4 and hit ENTER
- and now enter T4 and confirm by ENTER

If all went well, you have such a screen:
FASTBOOT TETHERED RECOVERY LAUNCHER 07-24-2015

=======================================================================

DEVICE STATUS: ADB-ONLINE

DEVICE INFORMATION: Baytrail8B2414B4 device

=======================================================================

complete
Press any key to continue . . .

and you will see the TWRP screen on ST16.
First "Swipe to Allow Modifications", click Install and find "SuperSU-v2.82-201705271822.zip" click on and "Swipe to Confirm Flash". Click "Wipe cache/dalvik" and Swipe to Wipe, click "Back" and "Reboot System".
Now copy "rootexplorer_4.2.1.apk" to ST16 hit "PAD" go to the Applications and install by File Explorer - if the message "Install blocked" is displayed, click on "Settings" button and select "Unknown Sources" and confirm with "OK". Try to install again, it should be OK.
Back to the Programs and run "Root Explorer, go to the "system" then "app" and find "Vending.apk"
Click and hold until it marks and select "bin" on the right on top. Will be a window for allocation of permissions "Superuser request" for "Root Explorer". Confirm by hit "Grant" and confirm Warning window and confirm delete. Go back to the "system" and go to the "priv-app". Here you have to delete two files: "GmsCore.apk" and "GmsCore.odex" as previously. Copy from PC to ST16 "open_gapps-x86-4.4-pico-20181222.zip" file.

Go to the IntelAndroid-FBRL-07-24-2015 folder and run launcher.bat as Administrator. Type "ACCEPT" and confirm by ENTER, type 4 and hit ENTER, and now enter T4 and confirm by ENTER. Install, hit "open_gapps-x86-4.4-pico-20181222.zip" and Swipe to Confirm Flash. Then click "Wipe cache/dalvik" and "Swipe to Wipe", "Back" and "Reboot System".
Now, select "PAD" and confirm "OK", go to the "Settings" -> "Backup&reset", "Factory data reset", "Reset tablet" and "Erase everything". Now the typical Android startup screen will start.

I will try to insert photos later.

That's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only question is whether or not you will be providing free support or replacement ST-16’s for all the people that end up with bricked ST-16’s? I’ll venture you won’t and Yuneec will not be liable for damaged controllers.

Anyone that elects to do this, understand before you start that anything that goes wrong is your responsibility.

Exactly... providing the information is one thing, but being able to realistically address issues that will arise as a result is a very different scenario.

ANYONE FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE WILL NOT RECEIVE HELP ON HOW TO UN-DO THIS FROM YUNEEC. IS PLAYSTORE AND SOME APPS WORTH IT?

Oh, and @pinelesss... congratulations on your first post... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Murray Martz
Exactly... providing the information is one thing, but being able to realistically address issues that will arise as a result is a very different scenario.

ANYONE FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE WILL NOT RECEIVE HELP ON HOW TO UN-DO THIS FROM YUNEEC. IS PLAYSTORE AND SOME APPS WORTH IT?

Oh, and @pinelesss... congratulations on your first post... :rolleyes:
I added a Mod note to the beginning of the thread now. Personally I would never do this, but to each their own I suppose. No way I want outside apps trying to connect like Google Play while I am flying.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
This seems to be information much better suited to an Android tablet or OS forum, rather than here. Why anyone would want to modify a flight control ground station is beyond me. Buy an Android tablet for $50 and have at it.

IMHO even with a stern warning, this type of info just doesn’t belong here on a forum to promote responsible and safe flight. This is “Hacker Stuff”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval