Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H & Mavic Pro.

Reaction score
I've had the Mavic Pro for about a week now. I can't really compare it to the Typhoon H as it's in a different drone class. I must admit that I do like it (it surpassed my expectations).

It has different features than the Typhoon which means it's useful in situations where you can maximize those features, which is the same for the Typhoon.

The video quality is really good for such a tiny camera. The tap to focus seems to be issue if you set it for a distance than fly closer to something (the opposite is also true) and forget to refocus. Most times, infinity focus works fine. I do find the FOV of the Typhoon and quality of video is more pleasing to the eye than the more narrow FOV of the Mavic.

The Typhoon's Achilles heel is it's portability and battery life.
The Mavic's Achilles heel is wind, especially wind gusts.

Here is a short video of the two.

I'll have mine on Weds, I have a Phantom 3 and they are both entirely different platforms for different settings IMO. I took both mine out yesterday to do some video shooting and I mostly use the Phantom for longer distance shots as it has much greater range. Close up single shots or very short close up video shots the H wins IMO as I think the pictures look a bit nicer and more color depth with the H.

and again a nice video work from you!

...i was think about switch to marvic, but you said stability of the h is better in wind? what you say about video/photo quality ?

Good stuff. You're doing a really good job with you videos and are very helpful. I prefer the Yuneec camera look as opposed to the Mavic. Even
with my P3 I never did like how the camera always rendered too bold and oversaturated sky colours... happens here too.

That being said, I am still getting one. :) I'd say Yuneec are more than likely working on the competition to the Mavic.

CHEERS

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
It's pretty tough to find a consumer level drone that can surpass the H for stability in wind. I've flown in some gusty stuff alongside an Inspire and the owner openly lamented over how much better stability the H was demonstrating. Most I've done is winds officially measured at 27mph and there wasn't a tremor in the video or any issue with aircraft control nor shortage of airspeed against the wind.

Reactions: GRH and Steve Carr
and again a nice video work from you!

...i was think about switch to marvic, but you said stability of the h is better in wind? what you say about video/photo quality ?

I was out flying the Mavic on Saturday and it was really cold and windy. The Mavic was at an angle fighting the wind and it did a good job of staying in place, but it did look like it if the wind picked up more, it would have given me a warning. Certainly it was windy, but nothing the Typhoon couldn't handle.

I flew it one evening in auto camera mode as the light was going down and I was really impressed to see that the video was just outstanding with no graininess. I find all DJI products (except the Inspire) take much better video and images in AUTO mode than MANUAL mode. Regarding pictures... The Mavic has an interesting feature where the camera spins 90 degrees (like a cell phone in portrait mode) so that you can take Panorama shots. It's nothing like the Typhoon's automated setting where everything is done for you... On the Mavic you have to manually lock the exposure and manually rotate the drone and snap each picture, and since the camera is at 90 degrees, it takes about 14 pictures to the Typhoon's 8 (The Panorama I took on the Mavic is below... I've reduced it in size so that it would upload to the forum). Click on the image to get an idea of camera detail.

MAVIC PANO MILLENNIUM SMALL SIZE.jpg

It's pretty tough to find a consumer level drone that can surpass the H for stability in wind. I've flown in some gusty stuff alongside an Inspire and the owner openly lamented over how much better stability the H was demonstrating. Most I've done is winds officially measured at 27mph and there wasn't a tremor in the video or any issue with aircraft control nor shortage of airspeed against the wind.

This is true. No matter the wind, I've never noticed it affect the gimbal when hovering.

I've had the Mavic Pro for about a week now. I can't really compare it to the Typhoon H as it's in a different drone class. I must admit that I do like it (it surpassed my expectations).

It has different features than the Typhoon which means it's useful in situations where you can maximize those features, which is the same for the Typhoon.

The video quality is really good for such a tiny camera. The tap to focus seems to be issue if you set it for a distance than fly closer to something (the opposite is also true) and forget to refocus. Most times, infinity focus works fine. I do find the FOV of the Typhoon and quality of video is more pleasing to the eye than the more narrow FOV of the Mavic.

The Typhoon's Achilles heel is it's portability and battery life.
The Mavic's Achilles heel is wind, especially wind gusts.

Here is a short video of the two.

Hi CaptainDrone
Love your work and very detailed descriptions. You answer most I my questions before I ask them but there is one question I have not yet found the answer to and that is "Has the fly-away problem been resolved yet". I had my new H pro for less than 20 seconds before it decided to take off by itself and crash into the nearest tree, I am awaiting a replacement and I am concerned it may do the same. I do all my checks and settings carefully prior to take off, and have done so for years.

John

This is my first ever post!

Hi CaptainDrone
Love your work and very detailed descriptions. You answer most I my questions before I ask them but there is one question I have not yet found the answer to and that is "Has the fly-away problem been resolved yet". I had my new H pro for less than 20 seconds before it decided to take off by itself and crash into the nearest tree, I am awaiting a replacement and I am concerned it may do the same. I do all my checks and settings carefully prior to take off, and have done so for years.

John

This is my first ever post!

Hi John,

I emailed Yuneec twice over my incident. They did review my flight logs, but then they went into silent mode. I had been flying the Typhoon for many months before this happened out of the blue. My Typhoon flys fine and I don't let the incident stop me from flying it. I still get the occasional drift now and then which is odd (fly on one battery, no drift, fly on a second battery & drift, fly on a 3rd battery & no drift, etc). As long as you've done all your calibrations, your 99.9% certain of having a normal flight.

Reactions: QuadBart
Hi John,

I emailed Yuneec twice over my incident. They did review my flight logs, but then they went into silent mode. I had been flying the Typhoon for many months before this happened out of the blue. My Typhoon flys fine and I don't let the incident stop me from flying it. I still get the occasional drift now and then which is odd (fly on one battery, no drift, fly on a second battery & drift, fly on a 3rd battery & no drift, etc). As long as you've done all your calibrations, your 99.9% certain of having a normal flight.

Thanks for that, following your advice I will get out there and fly but it will have to be my P4 till the H pro returns. I must be the most patient man in OZ, ordered my H in 5th June updated order to a H pro 13th July received it on 29th Sept shipped it away for repair/assessment 30th Sept and now still waiting. Thanks to this Forum I am learning all the lurks and perks about the H & H pro and will be looking forwards to putting all that you and all the others have posted in to practice. Keep up the excellent work!

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
i do not watch Netfix anymore. Healthier to get out and fly. Then go over logs, reports,observations, stop,look,correct and take action. Aviate Navigate and Communicate.
H handles wind in gusts as well.
Operating near the coast i deal with this fluctuation in one session from 10 to 17 knots approx in angle all the time and commercialy take imagery, adjusting gco3 as operation dictates.
will be buying another Typhoon H this week. Thank you ever so much flyers for elements, and opinion to make up my mind.
Safe Flying.

Attachments

• Promo pic 2.JPG
    Promo pic 2.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for that, following your advice I will get out there and fly but it will have to be my P4 till the H pro returns. I must be the most patient man in OZ, ordered my H in 5th June updated order to a H pro 13th July received it on 29th Sept shipped it away for repair/assessment 30th Sept and now still waiting. Thanks to this Forum I am learning all the lurks and perks about the H & H pro and will be looking forwards to putting all that you and all the others have posted in to practice. Keep up the excellent work!

Good Day to You. May i enquire who,where in the world is doing your assessment/repairs. JUne 5th/13th July to Sept 30th.timelines are not good enough to say the least. Commercially that is going to be a disaster. We all need to help each other Down Under as a flying community. If i can help?

I have an H and I recently ordered the Mavic. It won't replace the H but it looks like a lot of fun and it's so **** small it can sure travel. Controller problems are now coming to light on the Mavic. None of these drones are without their own set of faults and anyone buying a drone of any kind should know that going in. I flew my H today as I do every few days and I would trust it with my life, well, maybe not my life but.....My H was one of the first ones delivered. I only did the first update way back when where we could now turn the GPS on and off. I have never done a compass calibration. I am on the original set of props. I fly the **** out of it. I flew at the beach today in SW Florida and it was windy as ****. Unless there is a storm I am not afraid to take it up in anything out there and it is always been solid as a rock. I am sure I will have a great time with the Mavic but the H is a warrior tank predictable and true.

Hi John,

Just curious, do you notice if it drifts more on any particular battery?

First flight over the weekend with the latest upgrade. Did all the calibrations by the numbers and had no issues. Seems to be flying better than ever! Was staying in some yurts at the coast near Manzanita, Oregon, here's a quick snap. IMG_5587.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First flight over the weekend with the latest upgrade. Did all the calibrations by the numbers and had no issues. Seems to be flying better than ever! Was staying in some yurts at the coast near Manzanita, Oregon
Ok, I'll bite. What's a yurt??

I can best describe it as a "hard tent." It's permanent (unlike a tent) with a light wood or metal sub structure covered by canvas, vinyl or something waterproof and a skylight at the top. The yurts we stay in have a hard floor, bunk beds, a futon, a light, a small heater (it's Oregon) and electricity (one outlet). It's more than a tent, but less than a cabin. No bathroom in the yurt, but facilities are located within the campground in that rectangular building at center. Pretty cozy, dog friendly, not exactly roughing it but also not some 5-star joint either. Kids love it, it's a lot of fun. We go with a group twice a year and rent about a dozen of them. Cheap, too.

John, Mongolia comes to my pea brain as being where Yurts orignated. Their round houses, easily moved for a Nomadic lifestyle.???
Somebody correct me if that's not right.

I can best describe it as a "hard tent." It's permanent (unlike a tent) with a light wood or metal sub structure covered by canvas, vinyl or something waterproof and a skylight at the top. The yurts we stay in have a hard floor, bunk beds, a futon, a light, a small heater (it's Oregon) and electricity (one outlet). It's more than a tent, but less than a cabin. No bathroom in the yurt, but facilities are located within the campground in that rectangular building at center. Pretty cozy, dog friendly, not exactly roughing it but also not some 5-star joint either. Kids love it, it's a lot of fun. We go with a group twice a year and rent about a dozen of them. Cheap, too.
Honestly, that sounds like fun! By the way as an ex surfer, clearly there is VERY large surf breaking in that photo.

Edit: Wish I had known about places like this when I was single and dating my usual goddess O'the Month! Double LOL!

John, Mongolia comes to my pea brain as being where Yurts orignated. Their round houses, easily moved for a Nomadic lifestyle.???
Somebody correct me if that's not right.
LOL! You know what came to my my bird-brain mind? Dr. Seuss!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval