Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
I remember trying to charge these batteries after both incidents and getting the "Blue battery Light Error" on the charger. After unplugging and plugging the battery back in a few times it started to charge on both occasions.

I now believe that these two batteries were over discharged and maybe be the reason I am experiencing the symptoms I am.

Good grief, why did you not tell us this in the first post. Those particular batteries may be ruined now.
I must apologize, but I am not a mind reader or fortune teller.

I do want to wish you the best.

@NorWiscPilot
@Steveromo19
I might be well to install the latest H firmware which was posted yesterday. This updates the Autopilot. Downloads - Yuneec

Folks, all of you, Steve (Carr) is right about the latest Autopilot update. I updated 3 units and have flown 9 batteries since. Steve, you probably meant "It might be well..."

Landing, promised with the last update but meh, is now the real deal. You can set it on a dime, OK, within a 24" circle, wind or not.
Smooth, GPS on or off.

The max altitude is retained at your last setting. You can take off from an incline, but landing on an incline of more than 10 degrees is not a good idea. Another member has pointed this out.

Good grief, why did you not tell us this in the first post. Those particular batteries may be ruined now.
I must apologize, but I am not a mind reader or fortune teller.

I do want to wish you the best.

No one asked you to be. I appreciate your enthusiasm though.

Also an update to those following for a solution: was not able to test different batteries today. It was raining when I got home. I will test 4 different batteries tomorrow and post my results.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Really keen to hear the outcome of your testing, particularly with the new batteries you have ordered.

Regardless, it would be well worth you looking into a different charger that has a little more functionality than the stock unit supplied. It is really important (for many reasons) to look after your LiPo's as best you can.

As Jeff - Forum poster NorWiscPilot - accurately pointed out in an earlier post in this thread, I did, indeed, have a very positive, professional, swift, and fair experience with Yuneec customer service when I hit my first and only snag with my Typhoon H after 77 successful, uneventful, fun-filled flights. My snag was a doozy, but Yuneec strongly stood behind both me and their product, and took excellent care of both, a position which I continue to appreciate and respect.

I have no reason not to expect for Jeff, too, to receive the same kind of treatment from Yuneec customer service with his problem as I did with mine, as I sincerely do believe they are there to help resolve whatever issue a Typhoon H owner may be experiencing, even when it is self-induced (and I am NOT saying this is the case here; I do not know). I believe this is just the way they do business at Yuneec, a trait that can only serve them well as the company continues to grow.

New military aircraft costing hundreds of millions of dollars each ALWAYS go through a tough process to reach perfection, the goal of any aeronautics design & production company and endeavors. (In my mind Yuneec is no different whatsoever in this regard, only on a smaller scale.) Even after its final release and it is being used in flight, that aircraft is constantly being even further fine-tuned and tweaked to reach that state of perfection, because perfection remains to be a goal, and that pursuit of perfection never really ends until that aircraft is retired one day and a newer model comes in to replace it. This why aircraft of any sort cost so much, from inexpensive racing drones to impossible futuristic machines designed and destined for Mars, as the perfection of it is constant, and must be to further aeronautic evolution. "Perfection" is not a destination; it is, instead, a never-ending journey.

This is what I see in Yuneec as a company, especially by them releasing new firmware updates on a routine basis that too many pilots complain about having to install, when each and every one of the updates only enhances the Typhoon H experience and makes the aircraft a better machine to fly, with new or expanded features to boot. So what is there to complain about? Having your aircraft made even more stable, more dependable, more feature packed?

As with any product ultimately made by humans, there will always be a degree of human error responsible for certain problems Typhoon H owners may have. But those occasions have proven to be very far and very few between. A lot of these problems often come down to the pilot's human error, which definitely must be factored in when evaluating the Typhoon H or its manufacturer. And here is where good communication is key, too.

With no disrespect intended, Steveoromo19 DID leave out a key piece of evidence by omitting his battery-draining experience in his original post, as cited and pointed out by Moderator Rayray in post #41 in this thread. I see that sort of thing going on too often here, leading only to lots of confusion and wasted time and words of advice. Posters MUST know what they are talking about if anyone is going to be able to help them.

I also see good advice from people who are in the know also being either not fully considered or completely sidestepped. Even though clear cut, easy to follow tips about something as simple as good LiPo battery maintenance are offered, too many pilots with Typhoon H problems are draining their batteries dangerously low and then wonder why they are experiencing ill effects. Perhaps their experiences would not be so negative if they only listened and followed what is being told to them.

To anybody actively engaged in "testing" their Typhoon H, I would first suggest KNOWING the aircraft inside and out first. You may discover that all of the testing has already been done for you by the experts at Yuneec.

As Jeff - Forum poster NorWiscPilot - accurately pointed out in an earlier post in this thread, I did, indeed, have a very positive, professional, swift, and fair experience with Yuneec customer service when I hit my first and only snag with my Typhoon H after 77 successful, uneventful, fun-filled flights. My snag was a doozy, but Yuneec strongly stood behind both me and their product, and took excellent care of both, a position which I continue to appreciate and respect.

I have no reason not to expect for Jeff, too, to receive the same kind of treatment from Yuneec customer service with his problem as I did with mine, as I sincerely do believe they are there to help resolve whatever issue a Typhoon H owner may be experiencing, even when it is self-induced (and I am NOT saying this is the case here; I do not know). I believe this is just the way they do business at Yuneec, a trait that can only serve them well as the company continues to grow.

New military aircraft costing hundreds of millions of dollars each ALWAYS go through a tough process to reach perfection, the goal of any aeronautics design & production company and endeavors. (In my mind Yuneec is no different whatsoever in this regard, only on a smaller scale.) Even after its final release and it is being used in flight, that aircraft is constantly being even further fine-tuned and tweaked to reach that state of perfection, because perfection remains to be a goal, and that pursuit of perfection never really ends until that aircraft is retired one day and a newer model comes in to replace it. This why aircraft of any sort cost so much, from inexpensive racing drones to impossible futuristic machines designed and destined for Mars, as the perfection of it is constant, and must be to further aeronautic evolution. "Perfection" is not a destination; it is, instead, a never-ending journey.

This is what I see in Yuneec as a company, especially by them releasing new firmware updates on a routine basis that too many pilots complain about having to install, when each and every one of the updates only enhances the Typhoon H experience and makes the aircraft a better machine to fly, with new or expanded features to boot. So what is there to complain about? Having your aircraft made even more stable, more dependable, more feature packed?

As with any product ultimately made by humans, there will always be a degree of human error responsible for certain problems Typhoon H owners may have. But those occasions have proven to be very far and very few between. A lot of these problems often come down to the pilot's human error, which definitely must be factored in when evaluating the Typhoon H or its manufacturer. And here is where good communication is key, too.

With no disrespect intended, Steveoromo19 DID leave out a key piece of evidence by omitting his battery-draining experience in his original post, as cited and pointed out by Moderator Rayray in post #41 in this thread. I see that sort of thing going on too often here, leading only to lots of confusion and wasted time and words of advice. Posters MUST know what they are talking about if anyone is going to be able to help them.

I also see good advice from people who are in the know also being either not fully considered or completely sidestepped. Even though clear cut, easy to follow tips about something as simple as good LiPo battery maintenance are offered, too many pilots with Typhoon H problems are draining their batteries dangerously low and then wonder why they are experiencing ill effects. Perhaps their experiences would not be so negative if they only listened and followed what is being told to them.

To anybody actively engaged in "testing" their Typhoon H, I would first suggest KNOWING the aircraft inside and out first. You may discover that all of the testing has already been done for you by the experts at Yuneec.

And... working with the experts at Yuneec, not against them, is another important point. That is why I am not going to update my H to the March release, until Yuneec has a chance to look at my telemetry files and has a chance to evaluate. They might want to test a few things first - before and after results.

Like it or not, we are all in this together in the efforts to refine and update, to make the best machines out there. Paying attention to details is part of it. Patience and cooperative dialogue are another.

Nice post again, CC!

Jeff

Okay all I have found the problem.

Arnhem ant was correct when he said the batteries were damaged. Today I stress tested the batteries in the Typhoon H one after the other with a full charge. I found the duds and removed them. It's easy to forget which batteries you have been flying when flights are days apart. New batteries are en route as we speak along with a new charger. I video taped the drone every flight until the point of battery warning to document the results. The toilet bowl effect would happen around 14.6v and worsen until uncontrollable on the bad batteries. The batteries that worked easily can be taken to 14.3v with very solid stability - even with the punishing winds of today.

NorWiscPilot (Jeff) I also with every battery took my h to about a 3-4 foot altitude to see if I could mimic your problem and I could not. Stable flight at all altitudes. However what I can tell you when I flew the broken batteries closer to the ground my flight stability worsened. I Tested multiple times, smart mode, angle mode, OA off and on and could not reproduce your symptoms. If I can help you further in any way please let me know.

I would like to thank the input from all those who were forthcoming and NICE about it. If I encounter these symptoms again I will be sure to come back and let you all know.

I would like to close with this: Many of you have been on this forum longer than I and also have many more contributions; however this forum is an outlet for people to pick others brains and express an interest in problem solving. The same product unites us together and we all care about it or we wouldn't be here. What may be obvious to you may not be obvious to others. This forum is written information and a reference tool for all who would like to soak up what they can, learn from others problems, mistakes, and to better prepare themselves for what might be around the corner. This is not the place to get offended about people having problems with the product and investigating the cause of their issues. Many people are having compass issues, many are having battery issues, many are having their drones drop clean out of the sky. Dismount from your high horses and stop being a bunch of babies. Nobody is asking anyone to "read minds" nor are they asking for a "perfect drone" they are simply asking for help.

This post has a wealth of knowledge that I'm sure will help many people. From those who had a similar situation as mine to those who have reached the end of their lipos lifespan. That is the only thing that matters.

Steveromo19,

Thanks for letting us know the outcome of your own testing. Knowing your results, I may run my tests again with each of my four batteries, just to be sure. What I already know is this: I saw the first occurrence of my particular scenario with one battery. After getting instructions from Yuneec, I ran two separate tests using two different batteries. Both of those failed the four foot check. That leaves one battery of my four that has not been run through its paces.

No harm in ensuring all four are fully charged and run my test flights using all four. If my H exhibits the same behavior with all four, I would tend to believe my H has the issue, not the batteries. We'll also see what Yuneec says once they have analyzed the flight data.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Okay all I have found the problem.

Arnhem ant was correct when he said the batteries were damaged.

Cool - glad I was able to help you out man. Good work on getting a different charger too - that'll help for sure.

Steveromo19,

Thanks for letting us know the outcome of your own testing. Knowing your results, I may run my tests again with each of my four batteries, just to be sure. What I already know is this: I saw the first occurrence of my particular scenario with one battery. After getting instructions from Yuneec, I ran two separate tests using two different batteries. Both of those failed the four foot check. That leaves one battery of my four that has not been run through its paces.

No harm in ensuring all four are fully charged and run my test flights using all four. If my H exhibits the same behavior with all four, I would tend to believe my H has the issue, not the batteries. We'll also see what Yuneec says once they have analyzed the flight data.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Feels strange to be replying to my own reply, but it seems the best way to follow up on what I said I would do.

Today I took all four of my H batteries out on the lake. Conditions were very similar to last Wednesday when I first experienced the 'circling flight', chronicled earlier in this thread. The only three differences: maybe 15 degrees warmer (about 45 degrees F) and later in the day - 5pm versus noon, and the soft snow cover has given way to warmer temps and has become part of the ice cover. Still over a foot of ice, if anyone was curious. In other words, clear skies and calm winds.

I ran all four batteries - lift off, hover at 6 feet, hover at 4 feet and lower... no signs of even an attempt to circle. It was so uneventful I decided to go see what a hovercraft was up to across the lake. No, I do not have any good video as I wasn't THAT confident yet to get beyond 1500 feet!

Also said "hi" to some of the Canada geese who have already returned to the growing open water, along with a couple white swans. Again, didn't want to take too many chances let alone disturb their peace. I did show off a bit to my lovely bride (her first time seeing my lovely bird in person versus just watching the videos) taking a nice leisurely flight around the neighborhood.

Aside from having to re-seat the camera a couple times to regain gimbal control after battery changes, it seems my H has decided it teased my enough and has returned to being an absolute thrill to fly and put through her paces. I will, of course, continue to work with Yuneec should they have any feedback, especially if post lift off flight control checks indicate the issue has returned.

Happy flying!

Jeff

Last edited:
Does a couple of things; gives you some eye candy and has the male customers ogling the camera operator, keeping her on the shoot longer and boosting your collectible for your hourly rate.

Now that is a line of sight rule I can get behind. H in a tree or not ;)

And Steve Carr, A fold down seat... hahaha. I'm still in tears.

Typhoon Charlie,

I am recalibration with the camera on - never have taken it off. Do you think the wifi from the wireless router in my house would possibly mess with the calibration?

Someone may have already responded to this so I apologize in advance. If you are doing your compass calibration in your house there are many things that could affect a correct calibration. When I do mine I take mine outside 50-60 feet from my house and away from any power lines. I use one of my kids as a helper to hold the controller and press compass when I am ready to start the calibration. I have never had an issue with toilet bowling or erratic flight, the calibration is successful every time. I have also on rare occasion flown to the first voltage reading but I generally swap out batteries as close to 14.9 15. volts as I can. This just because I don't want to watch my bird fall uncontrollably from the sky knowing that it will absolutely not be covered under warranty. A few extra batteries are much much cheaper in the long run. Hopefully this gives you a little help.

Steve,

I don't need a perfect bird. I just want mine to work the way it did the first couple weeks I had it. It did not drift at all and when I hit 14.3v it was rock solid at the first battery warning until I landed it. I am trying to figure out why it is exhibiting its weird behavior and toilet bowl movement. I only bring up the altitude because I thought the difference in measurement could be a symptom of the underlying issue.

I had noticed on my controller that when I landed it would show -4 or -5 feet sometimes. In fact it had created some RTH flight issues with landings. I recalibrated my accelerometer and it fixed every issue that I had. I made absolutely sure that I was on a completely level surface when I did this,

I had noticed on my controller that when I landed it would show -4 or -5 feet sometimes.

It's gonna still do that at times. It's due to the (sensitive) barometric sensor, and not a cause for concern. About the only thing it is used for is the max height settings.

Compass calibration is easier and less likely to damage the camera if you remove it. DOES NOT impair the calibration process. Success means getting that Green Light on the H.

I kept my camera attached for compass calibrations when I first got my H and it worked fine, but I sure didn't like what it looked and sounded like it was doing to the gimbal, having to work so hard to keep where it wanted to be. After reading on here, I've been removing for the last several and it sure makes it easier to do. Either way worked as far as successful calibrations, but I do think it's easier on the gimbal to take it off. Just my $.02

Feels strange to be replying to my own reply, but it seems the best way to follow up on what I said I would do.

Today I took all four of my H batteries out on the lake. Conditions were very similar to last Wednesday when I first experienced the 'circling flight', chronicled earlier in this thread. The only three differences: maybe 15 degrees warmer (about 45 degrees F) and later in the day - 5pm versus noon, and the soft snow cover has given way to warmer temps and has become part of the ice cover. Still over a foot of ice, if anyone was curious. In other words, clear skies and calm winds.

I ran all four batteries - lift off, hover at 6 feet, hover at 4 feet and lower... no signs of even an attempt to circle. It was so uneventful I decided to go see what a hovercraft was up to across the lake. No, I do not have any good video as I wasn't THAT confident yet to get beyond 1500 feet!

Also said "hi" to some of the Canada geese who have already returned to the growing open water, along with a couple white swans. Again, didn't want to take too many chances let alone disturb their peace. I did show off a bit to my lovely bride (her first time seeing my lovely bird in person versus just watching the videos) taking a nice leisurely flight around the neighborhood.

Aside from having to re-seat the camera a couple times to regain gimbal control after battery changes, it seems my H has decided it teased my enough and has returned to being an absolute thrill to fly and put through her paces. I will, of course, continue to work with Yuneec should they have any feedback, especially if post lift off flight control checks indicate the issue has returned.

Happy flying!

Jeff

Hello again, everyone! Another entry for the ongoing saga.

Called Yuneec today. They confirmed they have my telemetry files, but have not had a chance to evaluate them. Nonetheless, I felt "the need for speed" so to speak so decided time for some more stick time. It had been a couple days since my last installment so figured may as well do it up right.

Time of day: noonish
Temp: around 25 degrees F.
Clear skies, south wind around 6. Sheltered at the surface anyway.

Preface - my most recent test flights were void of the circling phenomenon. Today: the circling, at 4 ft, was observed again. Decided to re-calibrate the compass and also let it sit for about 10 minutes. I had left the battery out of the H since my last flights (almost two days), so figured maybe "memory" had been lost. (By the way, anyone know the "life" of parameter storage for the H, sans power source?)

Lifted off to 6 ft. Stable as all get out. Down to 4ft or lower... Stable again. Yippeee!

Then tempted fate with a different battery: guess what? Circling again at approx 4 ft or lower. Let it sit for 10+ min. No difference. Still circling at 4 ft or so. Rise up higher... steady as can be expected. Back down... circling starts.

Took everything back inside and let sit awhile. Went through accelerometer and gimbal calibrations and then got back to work (day job) until about 5:30pm.

Back out on the ice: similar conditions as earlier in the day other than a few more thin, high clouds. Great time for flying.

Put the H through its paces using all four batteries in my arsenal. Never a waiver! Steady, consistent, holding position whether at 10 ft, 6 ft, 4 ft, or even at 1 ft. Drilled a hole in the ice (still have a good foot) and hovered over it for a good minute or so, at a foot or lower from the gear. Sure, it drifted a little, but not much. Just a little tap to the stick once in awhile got it back nearby.

Don't know what to say now. Calibrations have been done in the past. Done again between today's sessions.

Still waiting on Yuneec, but still having fun at the same time. Any excuse for flying, right?

Stay tuned!

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: Jester
Was in a conversation about GPS accuracy at work the other day. Work is a place that employs some pretty high end GPS systems, repeaters for use inside buildings, and testing to assure functionality in UAV's. We got to talking about public perceptions if accuracy in consumer drones, of which we have considerable hands on experience. There's over 60 of us with 107 licenses. Someone mentioned 2 meter minimum accuracy and the laughter started. Consensus ended up a consumer drone would be exceptionally good if it had double that.

Consumer drone baro altimeters are pretty simple things, and only used for altitude estimates. There's very little tech data available for them but we might presume they are set to a "standard day" sea level pressure reference where they baseline from 29.92inhg and 59*F. Lacking a means to set the altitude to the location's actual altitude ASL, any flight that originates from a location having not standard pressure and temps would generate some amount of error factor. Temperature changes add another delta factor.

Reactions: Jester
Was in a conversation about GPS accuracy at work the other day. Work is a place that employs some pretty high end GPS systems, repeaters for use inside buildings, and testing to assure functionality in UAV's. We got to talking about public perceptions if accuracy in consumer drones, of which we have considerable hands on experience. There's over 60 of us with 107 licenses. Someone mentioned 2 meter minimum accuracy and the laughter started. Consensus ended up a consumer drone would be exceptionally good if it had double that.

Consumer drone baro altimeters are pretty simple things, and only used for altitude estimates. There's very little tech data available for them but we might presume they are set to a "standard day" sea level pressure reference where they baseline from 29.92inhg and 59*F. Lacking a means to set the altitude to the location's actual altitude ASL, any flight that originates from a location having not standard pressure and temps would generate some amount of error factor. Temperature changes add another delta factor.

hi PatR,

I can only imagine the true laughter volume. I bet some good one-liners were flowing as well!

As for GPS, I admit we all would love pin-point accuracy and thus pin-point position holding control. Just not going to happen with the level of our current machines. However, I must say I have been impressed with the performance of my H, when it behaves. Watching it hover for 10-15 minutes, with no stick movement, maintaining relative position even with an occasional breeze kicking up, is fun. It does a remarkable job, in my opinion, all things considered.

Relating to my ongoing saga, I guess the first thing to realize is sometimes these systems fail or shut down for various reasons. Knowing how to compensate (manual flying) is the first lesson. The second is to determine if the issue is/was environment or equipment, and taking the necessary steps to reduce occurrence or increase awareness.

As for the altimeters, I am with you on that one. I believe it was mentioned before... the altimeter gives us a gauge, but it should not be considered a precision instrument. I definitely would not rely upon it to do some low level observations, especially if visual confirmation is sketchy (for those who like to stress their hearts and nervous systems, let alone risk their equipment and others).

Thanks for the insight!

Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt