Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Reaction score
Here's a hack for the Yuneec SteadyCam that will work with the Yuneec CGO3+. I bought the Yuneec Typhoon H drone with the understanding that there would be a hand held platform available for the drone's camera. Yuneec sells the ActionCam, but its sold with the CGO3+ and I already own a CGO3+. I did some research, ran into a lot of challenges, but I was able to get a working prototype. The build wasn't that expensive and now that I know what the parts are... it's not a difficult mod. I will make a few extra to sell so let me know if you want to buy one by sending me a message. I'll also post a video soon detailing the mod, for the time being I'll answer any question you have in the comments

You can use the standard typhoon H camera mount and fix it direct to the steady cam. Cut a hole in the steadycam to allow the connector and wiring through and then wire up to the back of the plug making a nice tidy job.

View attachment 2636
Standard typhoon h camera mount screwed into place. The wires go through the plastic body and are then soldered onto the back of the original connector.
View attachment 2637
The standard 8 x aa battery tray is removed. Jst battery connect soldered on and lipo connected.
View attachment 2638

Only took about half an hour to do all the mods. There's lots of screws holding the 2 halfs together but once they're all removed it's very easy to work on.

Lol, I too was told their is a steadycam base available.
How much are you selling them for.

I want one!

You can use the standard typhoon H camera mount and fix it direct to the steady cam. Cut a hole in the steadycam to allow the connector and wiring through and then wire up to the back of the plug making a nice tidy job.

View attachment 2636
Standard typhoon h camera mount screwed into place. The wires go through the plastic body and are then soldered onto the back of the original connector.
View attachment 2637
The standard 8 x aa battery tray is removed. Jst battery connect soldered on and lipo connected.
View attachment 2638

Only took about half an hour to do all the mods. There's lots of screws holding the 2 halfs together but once they're all removed it's very easy to work on.

Awesome post!

So do I purchase a CG03+ camera base from yuneec?

I want one!
I'll hook it up for the cost of parts, shipping plus an additional $20 for the service. We'll have to find a steadycam grip and the cost will vary since it will be used. I bought mine for $80 off ebay. The two cables were about $10 and the mounting plate was about $10. How's that sound to you???

my battery grip has already the connection for a CGO3+

497cyt7f.jpg

It's pretty cool that you figured that out but Frank at CarolinaDronz sells just the Actioncam handle (less CGO3+) with a rechargeable battery and case. That's what I bought with my H Pro. Just keep in mind that while, yes this is essentially a steady cam, the CGO3+ has a cooling fan which makes a lot of noise so turning on sound (which makes sense when using a handle) picks up the fan noise of the CGO3+. It would be nice if the CGO3+ came with an ext stereo mic plug for this use. Truth is, the CGO3+ is a drone camera and when flying there isn't much use for sound.

It's pretty cool that you figured that out but Frank at CarolinaDronz sells just the Actioncam handle (less CGO3+) with a rechargeable battery and case. That's what I bought with my H Pro. Just keep in mind that while, yes this is essentially a steady cam, the CGO3+ has a cooling fan which makes a lot of noise so turning on sound (which makes sense when using a handle) picks up the fan noise of the CGO3+. It would be nice if the CGO3+ came with an ext stereo mic plug for this use. Truth is, the CGO3+ is a drone camera and when flying there isn't much use for sound.

The camera from the H does not work on the steady cam handle. It has a different mounting shoe and electrical connections. The CGO3 it works on is from the Q500 4K. They are two different cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The camera from the H does not work on the steady cam handle. It has a different mounting shoe and electrical connections. The CGO3 it works on is from the Q500 4K. They are two different cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are two versions of the SteadyGrip. One with a mounting shoe with no electrical pins - just a plug behind the shoe for a cable to plug in, and a newer version that does have three electrical pins on the mounting shoe. That latter will work with the camera from the H but only in a limited fashion due to the size of the H camera, where it can't pan but it can tilt. Moving the shoe forward, like in this hack that jazzman81 did, restores full operation because now the camera clears the body of the SteadyGrip.

The newer "Action Cam" can be purchased without a camera, from CD and others, and works very well with the CGO3+ cameras, mine does anyway. I believe many realtors use these for their indoor shots of sales properties. In dark rooms, external light may be necessary.
Or you can buy a thousand dollar video camera that performs better in low light.

There are two versions of the SteadyGrip. One with a mounting shoe with no electrical pins - just a plug behind the shoe for a cable to plug in, and a newer version that does have three electrical pins on the mounting shoe. That latter will work with the camera from the H but only in a limited fashion due to the size of the H camera, where it can't pan but it can tilt. Moving the shoe forward, like in this hack that jazzman81 did, restores full operation because now the camera clears the body of the SteadyGrip.

Or just swap the mount for the typhoonH mount. It sits further forward allowing the camera room to move.

20160824_072854.jpg

I want one!
Oh wait... you said you have two. I can walk you thru the mod
That's what folks keep saying, but I don't see
Or just swap the mount for the typhoonH mount. It sits further forward allowing the camera room to move.

View attachment 4526
That's what I did at first, but the cable doesn't not mate with the Typhoon H plate... I ordered the Typhoon Q plate which works.

Here's how mine is wired up (I've just ripped it apart to show everyone)

20161231_164654.jpg

From the typhoonH connector we have red and black (power and earth) and white (PWM).
These are spliced into the original wiring going to the back of the plug on the steadycam.
Red and Black goes to red and black.
Yellow goes to white.
Final bit is to cut a little hole in the plastic of the steadycam behind the mount to allow the socket to sit down and allow the cables through.
20161231_165457.jpg

Now just to put it all back together again ;-)

Here's a hack for the Yuneec SteadyCam that will work with the Yuneec CGO3+. I bought the Yuneec Typhoon H drone with the understanding that there would be a hand held platform available for the drone's camera. Yuneec sells the ActionCam, but its sold with the CGO3+ and I already own a CGO3+. I did some research, ran into a lot of challenges, but I was able to get a working prototype. The build wasn't that expensive and now that I know what the parts are... it's not a difficult mod. I will make a few extra to sell so let me know if you want to buy one by sending me a message. I'll also post a video soon detailing the mod, for the time being I'll answer any question you have in the comments

Jazzman, I have a CGO3+ camera and am in a pinch for a functional SteadyCam in short order for a real estate shoot. Do you have a unit currently ready for purchase by any chance ?

Hi there I have the grip and a q500 4K mount which three contacts on the CGO3+ do they go on to the front three or back three as the camera has Six ?

Last edited:
Hi there I have the grip and a q500 4K mount which three contacts on the CGO3+ do they go on to the front three or back three as the camera has Six ?
Your CGO3+ has 6 pins. Just fit your CGO3+ on the steadycam. It lines up perfectly with no additional wiring. It only uses 3 of the pins. As long as you have the upgraded battery (Not the 8AA version. That version doesn't supply enough voltage to the camera), you will be good to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval