Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec's Typhoon H support is dead

Couple of points here. One is the mention of a warranty ending 6 months ago. Second is bought the H last year. Anyone with an H knows that Yuneec extended warranties for the H from 6 months to 1 year at one point last year. So his H had to have been bought the year before last.

There's absolutely no debate that some H cameras were delivered with the lens improperly positioned, which caused a significant focus issue at one edge of the frame or another. That was referenced in many early posts referencing the H shortly after it was released. There's also quite a few posts where the owners contacted Yuneec shortly after discovering that condition and received an RMA to send it in for warranty correction. Why would someone wait until after a 1 year warranty expired to inform Yuneec of a problem that had to have been present from day one? Is it possible the owner worked with the lens himself after the warranty expired, causing loss of focus, and then attempted to get Yuneec to deal with it as a product deficiency?

As for not shooting 4k quality video, the H most certainly does shoot good 4k video. The bit rate is lower than the P3 Pro but unless your doing high level work that difference will not be of great concern. Perhaps his video isn't as sharp and crisp as he thinks it should be but sharpness is something the user can change themselves, if they want to. There have been numerous threads and posts referencing alteration on the CGO-3's sharpness settings. Then again, perhaps the users post processing software or play back equipment is not up to rendering 4k video and like so many others he is blaming the camera for deficiencies of equipment not associated with the H.

There's mention of contacting Yuneec about the lens prior to a warranty expiration but no proof of such contact. The only Yuneec response provides reference to a lack of previous contact. Yuneec C.S. sends an e-mail to the caller after conclusion of issues discussed in calls to customer service, and those e-mails make reference of the topic discussed. Where are those e-mails from the alleged earlier contacts?

Sure, DJI has really great hardware, but hey don't provide firmware upgrades that increase functionality. Their firmware upgrades correct issues with defective software or add more company control of their systems. if you want to upgrade a DJI product you have to buy the next release in line. Stable firmware does not need to be upgraded because there is nothing wrong with it. People that think they deserve a continuous stream of new features with a consumer drone platform approaching two years of age are simply among the group that expect something for nothing. That's certainly not the way it works with DJI as they supersede their latest release with another every 6 to 8 months. if you want the latest features available with the new release, even if that release is in the same class as your model, tough luck as you get to but the new model and put the one you bought 6 months ago on the shelf.

1) Why would someone wait until after a 1 year warranty expired to inform Yuneec of a problem that had to have been present from day one? Is it possible the owner worked with the lens himself after the warranty expired, causing loss of focus, and then attempted to get Yuneec to deal with it as a product deficiency?
2) As for not shooting 4k quality video, the H most certainly does shoot good 4k video. Perhaps his video isn't as sharp and crisp as he thinks it should be but sharpness is something the user can change themselves, if they want to. Then again, perhaps the users post processing software or play back equipment is not up to rendering 4k video and like so many others he is blaming the camera for deficiencies of equipment not associated with the H.
3) There's mention of contacting Yuneec about the lens prior to a warranty expiration but no proof of such contact. The only Yuneec response provides reference to a lack of previous contact. Yuneec C.S. sends an e-mail to the caller after conclusion of issues discussed in calls to customer service, and those e-mails make reference of the topic discussed. Where are those e-mails from the alleged earlier contacts?

Regarding the points/questions you raised, let me answer the three primary ones (above):
1) I didn't "wait" until after a year. I contacted Yuneec twice. The first time was before they were aware...or, should I say, before they admitted knowing...of the focus problem. As to your assumption that I attempted to modify the lens myself, your assumption is incorrect. When it comes to drones, the ONLY "modification" I've ever done was installing the HDMI module on my Phantom 3 Pro's controller.
2) Once again, I NEVER said the CGO3+ wasn't recording 4K video...only that the resolution appears to be considerably lower. As I pointed out to Yuneec in my email to them, as well as reiterated by the customer service person who replied, the "appearance" of lower resolution is probably due to the focus problem.
3) Unfortunately, Yuneec does NOT "always" send an email after calling customer service. I called Yuneec this morning...partly regarding part of their reply, and partly regarding something unrelated. No email was received. Yes, part of my call was related to an existing case number, but, regarding the additional matter, a new case number was created.

Anyway...moving forward...while we won't know whether, or not, continued support will be forthcoming, I do have a "solution" to the focus matter. As a photographer (my degree is in photography), I never liked the fact that Yuneec (as others have also done, and continue to do) went the "cheap" route, and used a plastic lens (I am not aware as to how many elements it contains). As such, I plan to have Carolina Dronz "resolve" the matter. I will be having Carolina Dronz replace the stock lens with either their own, or one from Peau or PixAero (haven't decided, as I'm awaiting an email from them with specs for their own lens). Taking that one step further, I've decided to purchase a second CGO3+ (sellers on eBay & Amazon offer new units at very reasonable prices, usually parted from a new Typhoon H), and have them replace that camera's lens with either PixAero's 6mm or 8mm, or Peau's 8.25mm (mostly depending on what's available). All of these lenses utilize glass lenses, with 7-8 elements. While I easily upgrade computers, I think it wise to pay Carolina Dronz to replace, and focus, the lenses. I'm even considering having them install the external antenna kit on the Typhoon H (I'm willing to give it a shot installing the third antenna on the ST16, as the controller shouldn't be in any "danger").

You just gave me reason to take a completely different view of the situation. That you are willing to go through the extra effort is very commendable. I did a similar lens change and found there can be a considerable image improvement. The external antennas for the H certainly won’t cause any harm. Mine have been problem free for a year, and I only use the two antenna version for both St-16’s.

There have been reports of plastic and glass Lenses. I see an outside flat lens and the inner concave lense. Are they glass or plastic?

I thought you knew it all...? Being astronomer and all...?

quote:

Dr Delta said:

Cool.
Nevertheless I am not going to scratch is to see if that is true.

Don't need to, I am sure it is true.

#93 Victory Pete, Jan 8, 2018

unquote

:confused:

I thought you knew it all...? Being astronomer and all...?

quote:

Dr Delta said:

Cool.
Nevertheless I am not going to scratch is to see if that is true.

Don't need to, I am sure it is true.

#93 Victory Pete, Jan 8, 2018

unquote

:confused:

Thanks for the comment, but I don't Know It All. I sometimes make assumptions with having limited evidence. I am assuming the lenses are glass for such expensive equipment.

An H along with the CGO-3, are not even close to “expensive”, unless your purchasing ability is very limited. Unfortunately, a very large number of multirotor flyers fall into the limited budget group and for them the price of an H, Phantom, Mavic or similar is a lot of money, often more than they can afford to lose. More than we can afford to lose is a critical consideration when we elect to become involved in any activity, especially those where RC flight is involved. For RC flying it has never been a question of if you will crash, but one of when you will crash. If you can’t comfortably afford to replace a drone after losing one you’re participating in an activity that exceeds your financial capability.

Bear in mind at this level we are not using professional level equipment. Sure, they can record some pretty good video but to obtain professional quality a lot more has to go into the finished product than what the recorded video provided. Even with that someone recording with a DSLR or mirrorless camera with a larger sensor, more megapixels, and pro quality lenses will generate a much better initial recording with a much greater dynamic range than what drones in the $1,000.00 to $2,500.00 price range can do.

Realistically, the H and similar are entry level class and great for learning the basics.

An H along with the CGO-3, are not even close to “expensive”, unless your purchasing ability is very limited. Unfortunately, a very large number of multirotor flyers fall into the limited budget group and for them the price of an H, Phantom, Mavic or similar is a lot of money, often more than they can afford to lose. More than we can afford to lose is a critical consideration when we elect to become involved in any activity, especially those where RC flight is involved. For RC flying it has never been a question of if you will crash, but one of when you will crash. If you can’t comfortably afford to replace a drone after losing one you’re participating in an activity that exceeds your financial capability.

Bear in mind at this level we are not using professional level equipment. Sure, they can record some pretty good video but to obtain professional quality a lot more has to go into the finished product than what the recorded video provided. Even with that someone recording with a DSLR or mirrorless camera with a larger sensor, more megapixels, and pro quality lenses will generate a much better initial recording with a much greater dynamic range than what drones in the $1,000.00 to $2,500.00 price range can do.

Realistically, the H and similar are entry level class and great for learning the basics.

I have never crashed in 8 years of RC flying. I am not exactly in a Limited Budget Group, and yes, I expect a glass lens, my $80 Mobius has one.

Your very lucky to have no accident in 8 years.
Before yuneec , I flew about 15 different rc helis,
And have to say at least every one had an unfortunate incident . The only difference being they were much easier to repair or replace. Now, flying a Q500+ and an H , so far so good but judging what I read in this forum, my day will eventually come, even though I’ve leaned a lot here

I bought my Typhoon HPlus for $225 without a camera or gimbal from a long time pilot and then purchased the camera from a third party and customer service treated me great and seemed happy to help although I was inquiring about getting a distributor license which they are not accepting any new applications for at this time.

Wow
Imagine if yuneec was like the auto industry and a couple years down the road if you want the latest and greatest software you buy it!
I totally agree that technology advances rapidly and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval