Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Fascinating! My question, without using the wifi extender, how far away were you able to fly it? You use an iPhone, right?

I have a cheaper model Samsung phone. I was not able to go 100 feet with it. I had more success with ipad and fire tablets, I could reach the geofence, but the video and control were sporadic.

If you have access to a large area, you can set up a Mesh network with Ubiquiti Unifi MESH dual band AP units. You will need to download the Unifi controller to laptop to set the mesh network up, but once it's set up the laptop is not needed. The Mesh AP units will allow data flow between 4 other units as well as other wifi devices. You have to have same SSID, same passcode, and same channel frequency set for all of the units. Each unit covers an area of about 800ft in every direction, but you would want to overlap the coverage a bit. You must also connect each unit to the router for setup, but once setup is complete, you only need to privide the 24V-48V power for unit to operate. If you keep the controller software running, you could see which unit the drone is actually connecting to as it moves around, as well as the data flow path to and from the router.

I recieved this nice Router/Extender from Edimax a few days ago and have tested it with the Breeze both in Extender and WISP mode, it will see dual band WiFi network, but unfortunately not the Breeze WiFi :(
Perhaps there are some regional issues with it, I know that some products act differently depending on which part of the world they are sold in, but sadly it does not work as a Breeze WiFi-Extender here in Denmark.
It is a great Router/Extender and does a good job for what it is meant for, and it does work with a Powerbank, so the money isn't completely wasted :)

You need to set it to same channel, and same security as breeze. If you have an android phone, just download frequency channel scanner app, and run a scan when breeze is turned on. It will give you the SSID, the frequency, and the channel #.

If you have access to a large area, you can set up a Mesh network with Ubiquiti Unifi MESH dual band AP units. You will need to download the Unifi controller to laptop to set the mesh network up, but once it's set up the laptop is not needed. The Mesh AP units will allow data flow between 4 other units as well as other wifi devices. You have to have same SSID, same passcode, and same channel frequency set for all of the units. Each unit covers an area of about 800ft in every direction, but you would want to overlap the coverage a bit. You must also connect each unit to the router for setup, but once setup is complete, you only need to privide the 24V-48V power for unit to operate. If you keep the controller software running, you could see which unit the drone is actually connecting to as it moves around, as well as the data flow path to and from the router.

I would rather go for a DJI Spark w/ fly more package.

You can change the settings of the geofence in the app or with factory software to start with its set from the factory quite close ...and that' with out hacking or cheating after that then it' range extender , antenna booster , unlocking and such just remember WiFi, security cams ,older,cordless phones ,clear wire * all use same antennas so don' be afraid to tear something apart and rob the connecter or antenna and hook 5v to it from a external batt make your own booster or extender save a few bucks

Interesting!

Could you put together a tutorial of the process to root the ST10+, and a list of the advantages that doing so would provide such as bypassing geofences. Then post it in the forum for the Q500 as it is the only quad that uses the ST10. It could be an interesting modification topic.

Check out the Q500 section on the forum. A lot of good info there.

There has been a lot of trouble with 3rd party props on all of the Yuneec drones. Especially on the Q500’s and Typhoon H's. They break and then the drone impacts with obstacles like the ground.

Please start a new thread in the Q500 discussion forum so your posts will be in the right section and folks can find your information easier.

can't someone make a wifi transceiver controller for the breeze? seems odd to use your phone's wifi & bluetooth to send to a repeater & controller then rig up power supplies.... by the time you make all these links and connections the breeze's little battery is out of flight power....

can't someone make a wifi transceiver controller for the breeze? seems odd to use your phone's wifi & bluetooth to send to a repeater & controller then rig up power supplies.... by the time you make all these links and connections the breeze's little battery is out of flight power....
The repeater is pretty unpractical, I've done a bit of searching and I'm about to give up. In theory would something like this work?
300Mbps Mini USB Original 360 Portable Pocket WiFi 3 Wireless Network Router PC | eBay

The repeater is pretty unpractical, I've done a bit of searching and I'm about to give up. In theory would something like this work?
300Mbps Mini USB Original 360 Portable Pocket WiFi 3 Wireless Network Router PC | eBay
sadly I don't know, something about needing 5.8?. seems people want a range that is over what wifi can do.? that said, then why did yuneec make it this way? I understand using a phone rather rc controller saves money.... and I like the breeze, but it's not that fun if it does not work with all phones to the max of the geofence.... and you only have 10 minutes of flight time, why waste 25% of that power try trying to connect to all these add on. just make a wifi controller that solves all these range problems! Then most people would be happy.

If you check the specs on the device you posted above, you’ll find it is an 802.11b/g/n device on 2.4Ghz band. The Breeze is a 5.8Ghz band device, so it’s a no go for compatibility.

The Breeze can only be controlled via the Breeze Cam app which is written for iOS and Android. So it requires a phone/pad/tablet that runs on those OS’s.

Some use a repeater/range extender to reach the geofence and retain good video feed and control. Most use a stronger signal or higher gain antennas than are found in phones/pads/tablets.

The range extenders that are USB powered are not unpractical. You initially set the parameters on them to communicate with the Breeze, then they retain that setup so all you do is power them on when ready to fly. You then power on the Breeze, allow the extender to connect (< min.), and connect your phone to the extender and start BreezeCam.

Just received my range extender today and it allows me to connect to the on 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz bands. Breeze to extender on 5.8Ghz and extender to phone on either band. When the winds here in Florida die down I’ll try flying in both bands.

Reactions: AlligatoR
If you check the specs on the device you posted above, you’ll find it is an 802.11b/g/n device on 2.4Ghz band. The Breeze is a 5.8Ghz band device, so it’s a no go for compatibility.

The Breeze can only be controlled via the Breeze Cam app which is written for iOS and Android. So it requires a phone/pad/tablet that runs on those OS’s.

Some use a repeater/range extender to reach the geofence and retain good video feed and control. Most use a stronger signal or higher gain antennas than are found in phones/pads/tablets.

The range extenders that are USB powered are not unpractical. You initially set the parameters on them to communicate with the Breeze, then they retain that setup so all you do is power them on when ready to fly. You then power on the Breeze, allow the extender to connect (< min.), and connect your phone to the extender and start BreezeCam.

Just received my range extender today and it allows me to connect to the on 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz bands. Breeze to extender on 5.8Ghz and extender to phone on either band. When the winds here in Florida die down I’ll try flying in both bands.
I have read a suggestion to buy this [Netis WF2710 Wireless AC750 Router].. but again, it's just another patch. it seems the breeze with all its nice features is a wifi design bust.

The design was as a Selfie drone. The camera takes pretty decent pics and video, but with the wide angle lens it is much like the camera on a smart phone, images at a distance are too small. To maintain portability the phone was a good option for control and as such the range is limited by the phone’s WiFi signal strength. One thing to remember is the Breeze design has been around for well over a year and technology in this field is rapidly advancing along with prices dropping.

The design was as a Selfie drone. The camera takes pretty decent pics and video, but with the wide angle lens it is much like the camera on a smart phone, images at a distance are too small. To maintain portability the phone was a good option for control and as such the range is limited by the phone’s WiFi signal strength. One thing to remember is the Breeze design has been around for well over a year and technology in this field is rapidly advancing along with prices dropping.
I get what your saying..., But they say in the geo fence 260 feet high and 328 feet distance. Thus I expected it to do that out of the box, without a bunch of extra add on stuff. Sadly it does not do that thus it loses control..... It does try to land using gps which is great feature unless your over water or trees or houses.... I'd think yuneec would try to fix this issue. not for free of course.... but offer a controller to those that wish to buy it. that said, do not by a wifi controlled bird is the lesson I'm learning from this. But that's just how I feel and I'm not trying to put yuneec down. they're just not hitting the mark.

please let me know if you like your range extender... it's the only option I see at the moment

Jeff,

I’ll let you know how well it works for me. I got the ZyXEL WRE6606 that TStover used. Check out his videos in posts 74 and 77 in this thread to see what can be achieved. As for a new controller for the Breeze, it would have to be WiFi based also.

They would be better off to create a new quad in the size class of the Breeze that is radio controlled with a gimbal mounted camera to get steadier video. Of course it would likely be around the price point of the Q500 at $600.

I purchased the ZyXEL WRE6606 to use with my Breeze and have flown 6 batteries worth of flight time with it. It works great and I'm easily able to hit the geo-fence limitation of the aircraft will little to no breakup in the video signal to my phone at all. It powers up quickly and doesn't seem to use that much power. If you power the repeater first, then power the Breeze, you'll have a connection in about 30 seconds or so and be ready to fly. It's quick and painless. Speaking of which, the setup for the ZyXEL took me all of about 5 minutes and I haven't touched it since.

The WRE6606 has a perfect spot on the back of the housing for two or three 18650 batteries. I'm planning on making or buying a battery case and using adhesive or velcro to attach it directly to the WRE6606.

Glad you guys are having luck with those extenders. I use mine almost every time I fly the Breeze and it has worked really well. When the weather gets nicer I'm going to see if I can reach 1000'.

Now we need to find a way to circumvent the speed limitations and geo-fence of this aircraft to really open it up. A hacked firmware perhaps?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss