Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FINALLY! An in-depth comparison review of the Typhoon H vs Phantom 4

I have three GPS drones. Pick any one including my Q500+ up to 25 mph wind and they do,not bounce around like that. Autel is good also. I'm waiting for IPS for my TH.

Reactions: eric bee
Fair or not that vision of the H flying into the tree will be seen by many. Truth is obstacle avoidance does not work in the Follow or Smart mode and that is clearly spelled out in the manual. He flew that H into the tree, it was operator error for not reading the manual.

That's what the manual says but, follow me mode is where it is needed and expected to work and needed the most.

That's what the manual says but, follow me mode is where it is needed and expected to work and needed the most.
Agreed and I think real sense will offer that; in the meantime read the manual.

For OA to work you must be in angle with GPS lock. You must enable OA with the switch. The OA icon will go from yellow to green. The front lights will flash bright white rapidly. The OA telemetry will change from inactive to active.

Yep he missed all that, read the manual.

True enough, from the Manual:

IMPORTANT NOTE: In Follow Me, the aircraft will maintain a constant altitude and cannot detect obstacles. Pilots who change their altitude during flight should be mindful of this.​

Which does raise the question how will all this work with the YTH-Pro or when a RealSense module is added to the stock YTH? The (in)famous Intel mountain bike demo was supposed to be representing a follow-me mode, i.e. autonomous flight with OA active. It would be nice to see this all explained somewhere. In one of the early interview videos a Yuneec engineer or product mgr (can't remember his position) discussed in detail the flight mode in which the craft would yaw the craft so that the RealSense OA detection always faces the direction of travel while simultaneously panning and tilting the gimbal so that the camera FOV keeps the subject (via transmitter/controller GPS) in the frame. So it is (supposedly) able to function as if it has 360 degree OA by cleverly keeping the OA sensors aligned with the flight vector independent of the camera pointing direction.

The question is, is that functionality really coming later this summer? With Yuneec's current dreadful documentation for the YTH, I wonder whether YTH-Pro and RS module upgraders will even have adequate documentation to know what functionality they can actually expect in the real world. Since GPS info is needed for both the craft and for the transmitter/controller, operation in the kind of environments that the Intel demo simulated might turn out to be a fantasy anyway.

And, it there any reliable information regarding the power consumption of the RS module? It's bound to decrease flight time, but by how much? Can't see plunking down $s for the RS module until it's real-world performance becomes clear. Yuneec has demonstrated that their hype can significantly exceed performance for some features, including critical performance features like still and video image quality.

One of the claims the YTH appears to fully live up to is the ability to fly with only 5 functioning rotors. Good job on that!

According to a RealSense H pre-lim manual, it can be switched on in any situation, but max speed will be 10-11 mph. Says somewhere not to go into a forest, duh. Also that RealSense may take the craft higher/farthur than you anticipate. And indeed rotates to face direction of travel. We'll see...

P4 Active track compared to Yuneec Typhoon H GPS based is not good. Tom Tech Time compared these 2 while driving... when you speed up while using the P4 active track... the P4 will loose you if you speed up to fast. Make a quick turn and the P4 will also loose you. How do I know this... well I owned both the DJI Phantom 4 and the Yuneec Typhoon H. How Tom Tech Time showed this was first his car was moving slow...then he fast forward the clip deceiving the viewers because he was just driving the same slow speed. We all know that the H will follow you up to 45mph because of the GPS lock shared with the H and the ST16. Just search Typhoon H "follow me" on YouTube and you will see how the H performs in this mode. Make a fast turn... the H will adjust and catch up quick keeping you in the frame. And the way Watch me feature works is that the H will keep you in the frame while giving you variety of aerial shots...not completely perfect but it works.

Then Tom Tech Time crash the H while walking in the trees... well if you are an H owner like me we all know that the H will not avoid any obstacles without it's Realsense module. And obviously the P4 has the camera plus sonars built in already so it has an advantage avoiding obstacles. This comparison is not fair because the H he was using in his video was the Advance version and not the Pro. I still think his video is slightly biased but overall he touched a lot of H imperfections that needs to be improve by Yuneec. But my personal opinion... I have both the P4 and the H and I love both of them. The H is just a lot more fun to fly than my P4. My wife also agrees that the H looks way cooler.

I don't care how cool it looks, I want the best camera. So far the P4 wins by a country mile.

Plus, that hover test was pathetic on the part of the H! Also, the power consumption of the real sense will be huge me thinks. Probably max flight times of 12mins.

I for one was really looking forward to buying the H, but this video and several others problems have really made me change my mind.

I his video was totally bias whilst the H has some short comings which will no doubt be perfected in time, I have only owned the H a mere three weeks and can tell you the hover on my craft even in 25mph gusting wind is rock solid holding height and position and even really close to large groups trees swaying in the wind where you get a lot of air turbulence its still rock solid.

Reactions: David Wilson
I his video was totally bias whilst the H has some short comings which will no doubt be perfected in time, I have only owned the H a mere three weeks and can tell you the hover on my craft even in 25mph gusting wind is rock solid holding height and position and even really close to large groups trees swaying in the wind where you get a lot of air turbulence its still rock solid.
Yep, I have to agree, mine is rock solid even in gusting winds, I landed it on a ridge in gusting wind and it was so easy. The H is so easy to fly, its only downfall for me is the camera and wifi, if they sort that then perfecto.

Reactions: David Wilson
Yep, I have to agree, mine is rock solid even in gusting winds, I landed it on a ridge in gusting wind and it was so easy. The H is so easy to fly, its only downfall for me is the camera and wifi, if they sort that then perfecto.

I honestly agree with you here, especially the last bit. I've had my YTH in some pretty hilarious wind, and it does just fine. But then I bought the Phantom 4. Holy cow. Its not just steady, it honestly just sits there. Like its on a pole.

I actually still have all three UAVs. (Typhoon Q500, Typhoon H, Phantom 4) If there is any interest I can go perform the same test.

Documentation is lacking, I am mucking through the functions and hope to get some videos up. In case your interested Tom made several other comparison errors; some may be legitimate due to the lack of stereo instructions but watching him fumble with that sd card makes me wonder:rolleyes:

Tom quoted the top speed of the H to be far less than the P, we all know with GPS off the H hauls.

In follow Tom states the P4 has altitude control and the H does not. In reality the H comes with a barometer equipped device for true dynamic altitude; the P comes with no such device and relies on VPS below 10 meters for altitude control, the H can fly at 200 feet and still have DA.
The fumble with the micro SD was to show that the micro SD does not easily lock in place (another item Yuneec is fixing in future controllers).

I honestly agree with you here, especially the last bit. I've had my YTH in some pretty hilarious wind, and it does just fine. But then I bought the Phantom 4. Holy cow. Its not just steady, it honestly just sits there. Like its on a pole.

I actually still have all three UAVs. (Typhoon Q500, Typhoon H, Phantom 4) If there is any interest I can go perform the same test.

It's a bit of a weird test. If you take the Phantom above the height it's camera based positioning system supports (10 metres?) it behaves differently. If you need that exact positioning, then the Typhoon H will have the IPS soon and with it will probably behave pretty much exactly like the Phantom.

So at this point, all a test shows is that without IPS, low level positioning is not as accurate as with IPS (or its' equivalent).

It's a bit of a weird test. If you take the Phantom above the height it's camera based positioning system supports (10 metres?) it behaves differently. If you need that exact positioning, then the Typhoon H will have the IPS soon and with it will probably behave pretty much exactly like the Phantom.

So at this point, all a test shows is that without IPS, low level positioning is not as accurate as with IPS (or its' equivalent).

Just went and looked at the YTH with IPS on B&H. They have it listed at $1,900. $1,900. Uhhh....

YUNEEC Typhoon H Hexacopter with Intel RealSense, YUNTYHBRUS B&H

Just went and looked at the YTH with IPS on B&H. They have it listed at $1,900. $1,900. Uhhh....

YUNEEC Typhoon H Hexacopter with Intel RealSense, YUNTYHBRUS B&H
This bundle features the ST16 smart transmitter (radio controller), two flight batteries, the Wizard TV remote-style controller, and a soft backpack.
With the battery costing $140 and the backpack (which I have not seen) more likely in the $100 range that means the RealSense is probably in the range of $300 - $325. I believe that is what others on this forum have been anticipating.

Waypoint Navigation
Ground station functionality provided by the ST16 includes waypoint navigation. With this autopilot mode, apply pushpins to a map to create "waypoints" that define the Typhoon H's course. Altitude, speed, and heading can all change at each waypoint

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayray
Fair or not that vision of the H flying into the tree will be seen by many. Truth is obstacle avoidance does not work in the Follow or Smart mode and that is clearly spelled out in the manual. He flew that H into the tree, it was operator error for not reading the manual.

Wait on the intel realsense module

Reactions: Rayray
Wait on the intel realsense module

did you notice Tom seemed almost thrilled that he had crashed it into the tree...then after the crash when he had the camera/gimbal in his hand he said that it was "completely broken" looked to me like he might have been able to put it back on....ethier way x2 about reading the instructions about collision avoidance and follow-me mode not working together...yes the P4 is a beautiful machine, and I'm sure I'll own one one day...but it's uncool to bash products just to make the other look so much better...especially considering this guy makes money on his DJI tutorials on YouTube ....conflict of interest?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio