Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
Consumer drone baro altimeters are pretty simple things, and only used for altitude estimates. There's very little tech data available for them but we might presume they are set to a "standard day" sea level pressure reference where they baseline from 29.92inhg and 59*F. Lacking a means to set the altitude to the location's actual altitude ASL, any flight that originates from a location having not standard pressure and temps would generate some amount of error factor. Temperature changes add another delta factor.
This is especially important for those who use CCC and plan a route that is just a few feet above trees/buildings or those using follow-me just 10' above the ground. You can predict the result. The altimeter does get reset to zero when you hit the motor start but altitude drift is inevitable. I think there may be some temp compensation in the H but I know not the location of the sensors proximity to each other.
Regarding GPS accuracy, it seems many people forget the ST16 must have a fix as well and the two must have some agreement at launch. Setting the H in the open and the ST16 under a big oak tree may not be a great choice.

Then we have the possible effects of a heat generating battery directly under and over the GPS, compass, and baro sensors...

Reactions: Steve Carr
I think you should return it to yuneec for a check.
Yes, you can fly until the first warning.
This is what yuneec support says.
It's not the idea to look permanently on the voltage this must be calculated from the st16
Minimum flight time until the first warning should be about 15min. After this you have 3-5min left for landing. But before you fly in cold condition you should warm up the battery.
But I think in this case it's not the problem.

I'd like to point out there is no "minimum" flight time, nor is there a maximum. How it's flown, the conditions it's flown in, the equipment used or not used, battery condition and treatment, all influence flight time. Yuneec states we can obtain"Up To" x minutes of flight time. Nowhere do they state a min, max, or even an average. People like to think there's some specific flight time but that is totally something they make up themselves.

• Sad
Reactions: 7cyclops
I think you should return it to yuneec for a check.
Yes, you can fly until the first warning.
This is what yuneec support says.
It's not the idea to look permanently on the voltage this must be calculated from the st16
Minimum flight time until the first warning should be about 15min. After this you have 3-5min left for landing. But before you fly in cold condition you should warm up the battery.
But I think in this case it's not the problem.
I have experienced a low battery warning in as little as 7 minutes. Gaining altitude and flying into a strong wind reduces battery voltage quickly. Add to that a cold day and you will have a short flight.
If you are flying on a windy day, always plan to fly upwind at the beginning of your flight. NEVER get sucked into a situation where you need to fly upwind to get the H home.

Reactions: 7cyclops and Rubik
Are you calibrating compass with camera on or off. I have some observations. I have always calibrated with camera on and never had any toilet bowl issues. After reading that you should take the camera off I calibrated both mine with it off. You guest it, toilet bowl and erratic flight behavior after being on the air for some time after battery got low. Calibrated with camera on and all is good. I believe by calibrating with camera off the installing the camera, you are introducing the magnetic field of the camera ( 3 motor with magnets) along with the WiFi RF field which makes the compass calibration useless. Toilet bowling or circling is always a compass issue, by turning GPS off you are no longer relying on the compass you are on manual mode. As the voltage decreases the amperage goes up increasing magnetic field. I need to test this many more times to affirm that this is in fact an issue. In all the years of building with APM flight controller I learned to calibrate with the format the aircraft was going to fly. If I added or removed some piece of hardware, then calibration was always done.

what about wearing a garmin digital watch while calibrating...

I generally land at 14.4, have 50+ plus flights on a few batteries that are are still flying 16 - 18 minutes depending on mission.

If left hovering at 14.3 the H will begin having bad manners that you don't want to witness :)

• Sad
Reactions: 7cyclops
Below a certain voltage level a battery no longer possesses the ability to supply current at demand levels. As current increases, voltage decreases. If the current demand remains elevated the voltage eventually decreases to a level that cannot sustain the current demand. At that point safe operation of the aircraft is no longer possible. The system requires minimum specific voltage and current levels to function properly.

Similar to a flashlight where the light dims when the battery is used too long, the flight system degrades as voltage decreases. Your battery does not provide an infinite power supply.

I see lots of opinions re: battery voltage, landing, etc. Seems like lots of empirical data as in "your mileage may vary". Wondering: why is there a low battery warning at all? If the first warning is to get you to land, and the second warning is to REALLY get you to land, why land before the first warning? Why two warnings? Why isn't the first warning set at a higher level from the factory if it's been proven to damage the batteries? Does anyone hack this software for a reset to 15 volts or higher?

The warnings are general guidelines only... empirical evidence as presented in this and similar threads, shows the amount of variability that comes into play from a number of factors. Also the company does not care if consistantly going to the pre-established warning damages the batteries. They are a maintenance item that is intended to be replaced... even more so if the owner only uses the OEM charger.

In time you get a good idea of what your batteries perform like, it's worth checking that battery voltage quite often and getting prepared when you feel it's time to come home, at 15 volts I'm getting ready, and depending on conditions, will bring it back at 14.8volts and land, it will usually bounce back a little in voltage, but if your line of sight with the copter, it becomes pretty much second nature to bring it back before warnings, obviously if you go BVLOS then things may be a little tricky and people have learnt the hard way. Just saying.

It just boils down to becoming smarter than the battery and recognizing companies don’t make any money if you aren’t buying new batteries all the time.

The most important part is being smarter than the battery. If you get that handled the rest comes easy.

I think most will strive to be smarter than the complete setup, we try to be the master, it's just a piece of electronics at the end of the day.

Reactions: PatR and MikeDV
Yuneec states we can obtain"Up To" x minutes of flight time.

And if I recall, that "up to" time is hovering the drone on a windless day with no camera. So... Yeah, you're probably not gonna get that flight time.

Believe it or not, you’ll get less flight time from a battery performing a hover only flight than you would obtain if lateral flight motion was included.

A “dead lift” is terribly inefficient, using brute force from the motors and props to lift and hold the aircraft in place. In lateral flight the airfoil of the props acts like the wings they are and generate more lift using less power.

Aerodynamics is interesting stuff. A fun example of speed and drag is found on a P51 Mustang. The scoop on the belly allows the plane to fly faster than it would without it as the scoop improves aerodynamics. Sorry bout the trivia[emoji15]

No point in hovering too long killing insects. Get flying take some video and photos, if you've got more batteries, land and push another in, time is precious.

Hello all,

I just bought my Typhoon H Pro kit a little under a month ago from best buy. First and foremost i LOVE this drone. My first drone ever and I no doubt made the right choice after many months of research. It pains me to post about this not even a month after purchase but I need help with this issue.

Recently in the last couple weeks I have noticed when the Typhoon H hits 14.3v and the first battery warning appears my drone becomes very unstable and erratic. If the control are totally left alone at the time of first battery warning the H will start "toilet bowling" as I have seen it referred to on here. It will also rapidly raise in altitude as well as drop in swift random movements. It makes it nearly impossible to land the craft without incident. Prior to this issue I had not updated any firmware on the ST16 nor the bird itself. I left it as it came firmware and all. I have seen many people on these forums post about this issue but usually to no resolve as far as I know. I have also seen that people are experiencing these issues even earlier at 14.7v and 14.5v.

I started noticing a few days ago that the H would start slightly drifting after a maneuver for a few feet before it would catch itself and stay in place well before any battery warnings. I uploaded telemetry of several flights to exmaps. I have noticed when the battery warning hits I get a compass calibration error and that is when the erratic behavior begins. I also have noticed the telemetry indicates the drone is never recorded landing at the same altitude it took off from. I take off and land on my driveway and my driveway is level. I flew last night and the telemetry thinks I landed 5.8m (20ft.) above where I took off from. I am starting to think the H either loses GPS at the point of low battery altogether or is completely disoriented.

I finally contacted Yuneec. Customer support told me to update firmware on the both the controller and H, recalibrate the compass and accelerometer and try again. Last night I updated everything, recalibrated the compass north, and also recalibrated the accelerometer on a flat and level surface (my kitchen floor - I even used a level to verify). I took the H out - flew around until the battery was around 14.5v. I then hovered it in front of me until the first battery warning. As soon as the warning hit the H became unstable as usual and started toilet bowling. Fortunately is had just snowed here and I was able to not so gracefully land without consequence on the extra cusion.

I have emailed Yuneec and explained to them the problem still persists - I have read numerous posts on the forums of people who have had this problem, sent the bird to Yuneec (paying shipping costs) only to wait 3 months for it to come back and still experience the same problem. I do not want to fall victim to the same situation.

So A: I am looking to see if anyone has actually been able to trace this problem to it's roots indefinitely -because customer support has "never heard of this happening before" (yeah right) which leaves me pretty skeptical about them performing a successful fix or B: returning to Best Buy for a return before my month is up and can no longer return. I understand Yuneec does not do refunds. Really love this drone, it's features and styling go a long way for me and would most definitely like to keep it but I do expect a level of reliability. I do not use it for commercial work, filming or any sort of photography. I just simply like flying it around for fun. I need it to take off, fly and land. At this point I am missing the latter.

Any help is appreciated thank you.

-Steve
I little off topic but, this can save you in case this happens again. I NEVER land my H onto the ground. I always hand catch it. It's takes practice but, to me it is a better way to land (impresses the crowd - if any are watching) because I don't have to worry about anything that can cause the H to become unstable after touching down on uneven surfaces and flip over! Once I get the H at head level and know it's flying stable and still, I just reach up and hold it firmly on one strut with one hand and then kill the motors with my other hand-. Viola! No stress or mess with uneven surfaces. I live by the ocean and have found the H can be tricky to land on the ground. It will be more stable even in high gust at least 6 feet above the ground. You may also use the "push power button for one second at a time" feature to let the H drop a few inches on its own to get it to the level you prefer for the hand landing. Just FYI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz