Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H wont descend

Doesn'tmatter if you'll fly in the near vicinity.
Thanks, will do test flight without camera, and real sense module, I just always thought the flow camera and flow sensors were part of the camera module, I know better now. Flight log coming soon, PS is it necessary to have a sd card in the st16

Due to the bug in the ST16 firmware, take into account to go to the rabbit position in the final approach and touch. Be more precisely with the stick, now RS will not stop you to make a crash landing.

After the touchdown hold the stick in the lower position for a few seconds. You'll notice the difference in the motors spin. Release it slow to the center, don't drop it.

I am uploading throttle vs altitude plots for flights 122, 123, and 124. I will be back in a bit to elaborate on what I am seeing. From erroneous values for J3 in the Remote log for 122 and 123 I feel these flights were made before cleaning the stick potentiometers and performing the controller calibration. Values in the Remote file for 124 looked normal.

View attachment 26559
flight 00122
Altitude changes follow the J1 stick inputs for the first part of the flight. Around the 04:38 mark a descent command is given and the aircraft descends to what it thinks is 0 meters. The next throttle command is at the 06:18 mark to ascend which it does. A descent command immediately follows and the aircraft descends to an altitude of what it considers to be 6.5 meters below takeoff altitude. From what I see on Google Earth Pro the flight area appears fairly flat (no 20 foot hills).

View attachment 26560
flight 00123
The first part of this flight shows normal response to J1 commands, but at 36:44 the descent command of J1 does not result in a decrease in altitude. The next command at 37:03 results in the aircraft descending to a height it thinks is about 5 meters (16 feet) and the next descent command results in very little lower ring of altitude. Subsequent descent commands result in a very slow descent until it finally lands at an altitude itbthinks is 5 meters below take off altitude. This flight area also appears to be flat according to Google Earth.

View attachment 26561
flight 00124
Altitude appears to follow J1 commands all through this flight, but the descent that occurs from 35:30 to 36:00 is only a distance of 9 meters and should not take that long. The altitude at the 36:00 mark shows as 0 or takeoff altitude. Altitude responds to J1 commands beyond this point, but the altitude reads below takeoff position and landing is about 9 meters below takeoff according to the indicated altitude.

I am not seeing values for J1 being in in the full down position with the Rate slider in the Rabbit position on flights 122 and 124. There were some values in 123 near the end that seemed correct for J1 in full down position.

I would like to see logs from a test flight where the aircraft is taken up to about 30 feet then with the Rate slider at full Rabbit do full stick movement for three seconds. J3 forward, stop, J3 back, stop, J4 left, stop, J4 right, stop, J1 up, stop, J1 down, stop, J2 left, stop, J2 right, stop. Now place the Rate slider to turtle position and repeat the same sequence. Return the Rate slider to Rabbit and bring the aircraft in for a landing. I want to see the values that appear in the Remote log and the aircraft reaction to those commands. The pattern I described makes analysis a bit easier as we can see if the standard values are reached.
Here is todays flight log, all seemed to function except for the final descent in turtle mode, took about a minute in very slow fashion and drift at touchdown --- No camera and real sense removed

Attachments

• daves930[1].zip
    15.7 MB · Views: 2
I am uploading throttle vs altitude plots for flights 122, 123, and 124. I will be back in a bit to elaborate on what I am seeing. From erroneous values for J3 in the Remote log for 122 and 123 I feel these flights were made before cleaning the stick potentiometers and performing the controller calibration. Values in the Remote file for 124 looked normal.

View attachment 26559
flight 00122
Altitude changes follow the J1 stick inputs for the first part of the flight. Around the 04:38 mark a descent command is given and the aircraft descends to what it thinks is 0 meters. The next throttle command is at the 06:18 mark to ascend which it does. A descent command immediately follows and the aircraft descends to an altitude of what it considers to be 6.5 meters below takeoff altitude. From what I see on Google Earth Pro the flight area appears fairly flat (no 20 foot hills).

View attachment 26560
flight 00123
The first part of this flight shows normal response to J1 commands, but at 36:44 the descent command of J1 does not result in a decrease in altitude. The next command at 37:03 results in the aircraft descending to a height it thinks is about 5 meters (16 feet) and the next descent command results in very little lower ring of altitude. Subsequent descent commands result in a very slow descent until it finally lands at an altitude itbthinks is 5 meters below take off altitude. This flight area also appears to be flat according to Google Earth.

View attachment 26561
flight 00124
Altitude appears to follow J1 commands all through this flight, but the descent that occurs from 35:30 to 36:00 is only a distance of 9 meters and should not take that long. The altitude at the 36:00 mark shows as 0 or takeoff altitude. Altitude responds to J1 commands beyond this point, but the altitude reads below takeoff position and landing is about 9 meters below takeoff according to the indicated altitude.

I am not seeing values for J1 being in in the full down position with the Rate slider in the Rabbit position on flights 122 and 124. There were some values in 123 near the end that seemed correct for J1 in full down position.

I would like to see logs from a test flight where the aircraft is taken up to about 30 feet then with the Rate slider at full Rabbit do full stick movement for three seconds. J3 forward, stop, J3 back, stop, J4 left, stop, J4 right, stop, J1 up, stop, J1 down, stop, J2 left, stop, J2 right, stop. Now place the Rate slider to turtle position and repeat the same sequence. Return the Rate slider to Rabbit and bring the aircraft in for a landing. I want to see the values that appear in the Remote log and the aircraft reaction to those commands. The pattern I described makes analysis a bit easier as we can see if the standard values are reached.
Oh no, flightlog attached (daves930) but from looking at my video it appears I missed the J2 (spin) test after J1 in rabbit mode, let me know and I can do it again correctly

Had to catch up on yard work so no chance to look at the FlightLog yet. Takeoff and landing are to be in Rabbit on the Rate slider. It is more important during a landing. The rate slider limits the output of the sticks. It makes for smooth video by reducing abrupt moves, but when landing the reduced down throttle makes it descend slower and can impede the motors going to idle after touchdown. This can cause the dreaded hoop, skip, and flip syndrome.

Reactions: Pier2162
Had to catch up on yard work so no chance to look at the FlightLog yet. Takeoff and landing are to be in Rabbit on the Rate slider. It is more important during a landing. The rate slider limits the output of the sticks. It makes for smooth video by reducing abrupt moves, but when landing the reduced down throttle makes it descend slower and can impede the motors going to idle after touchdown. This can cause the dreaded hoop, skip, and flip syndrome.
Thanks and have a great weekend, gonna attach the camera and try another test flight in rabbit mode Realsense module on the workbench, has a bit of black goo on the connection. Will advise later, Thank You

Reactions: Steve Carr
Dave 1 flight 00127.png
Starting with the Elevation histogram I am seeing a battery that is getting quite old. The initial drop in voltage at liftoff seems excessive and for a 5:30 flight the battery went from 16.5V to 15V. In the final descent we see a constant rate until reaching 5 meters above launch altitude and then the rate declines. Upon landing it shows a height of 2.5 meters below takeoff. This is about half of what was seen in prior logs, but is still not what it should be unless the landing was on ground that is higher or lower than the takeoff position.

The values for the sticks J1, J3, and J4, with the Rate Slider at Rabbit position, range from 683 to 3412 at the full deflection positions and 2048 at neutral. J2 for yaw ranges from 956 to 3140 at full deflection and 2048 at neutral (J2 is limited by default to reduce excessive yaw rates during video capture). The values are reduced in range when the Rate Slider is at Turtle position. J1 is reduced by 20% giving limits of 957 to 3140, J3 and J4 are reduced by 60% for a range of 1230 to 2866.

The charts for J1/altitude show a lag between input from the controller and aircraft response, but not too excessive and likely within normal reaction time of the barometer. Range limits with the Rate Slider at Rabbit position are normal, but the range values with the Rate Slider at Turtle position are considerable less than they should be. If we look at the values from 00:55 to 01:18 we see a max throttle up value around 2600 and max throttle down at about 1500 (a difference of about 550 counts or 40% instead of the normal 80% of full range). This explains the the great hesitancy to land.

J3 and J4 show tracking to be well within limits when the Rate Slider is in Rabbit position, but too narrow a range when the Rate Slider is at Turtle position. They are at 40% instead of 60% of the full range values.

The conclusion I come to is that the Rate Slider was not at the center position when the first part of the controller calibration was exited. It was most likely a bit toward the Rabbit end of travel. I would suggest checking the sticks, Rate Slider, Tilt Slider, and Pan Knob in the Hardware Monitor to ensure that they follow movements both slow and fast without lagging or jittering. For the sticks make sure they return to null position with both slow and fast stick movements. If that is achieved, then redo the controller calibration ensuring that the sticks, Pan Knob, Tilt slider, and Rate slider are at the center (null) positions before exiting the first part of the calibration. The center position for the Rate and Tilt Sliders are a bit odd in positioning. Before starting the calibration note the positions at the maximum travel and mark the center position as half way between the two. This should be very close to the position you hear the beep from the controller when these sliders are centered. use this marked centerposition as the one to place the sliders in before exiting the first part of the calibration.

After redoing the calibration repeat the standard flight.
1) Rate slider to Rabbit and set RTH value to 60 feet.
2) Liftoff to about 30 feet.
3) J1 forward for 3 seconds, pause for 3 seconds, J1 down for 3 seconds
4) J3 forward for 3 seconds, pause for 3 seconds, J3 back for 3 seconds
5) J4 left for 3 seconds, pause for 3 seconds, J4 right for 3 seconds
6) J2 left for 3 seconds, pause for 3 seconds, J2 right for 3 seconds
7) Place the Rate Slider to Turtle position
8) Repeat steps 3, 4, 5, and 6 while in Turtle mode
9) Return the Rate Slider to Rabbit position and bring aircraft to the launch area and land holding the throttle down until the motors go to idle.
10) This is new! Take off again to an altitude of 30 feet, go out 50 feet or more then switch to Home mode and let the aircraft land itself.

Upload the flightlog after completing this and further analysis will be done.

View attachment 26578
Starting with the Elevation histogram I am seeing a battery that is getting quite old. The initial drop in voltage at liftoff seems excessive and for a 5:30 flight the battery went from 16.5V to 15V. In the final descent we see a constant rate until reaching 5 meters above launch altitude and then the rate declines. Upon landing it shows a height of 2.5 meters below takeoff. This is about half of what was seen in prior logs, but is still not what it should be unless the landing was on ground that is higher or lower than the takeoff position.

The values for the sticks J1, J3, and J4, with the Rate Slider at Rabbit position, range from 683 to 3412 at the full deflection positions and 2048 at neutral. J2 for yaw ranges from 956 to 3140 at full deflection and 2048 at neutral (J2 is limited by default to reduce excessive yaw rates during video capture). The values are reduced in range when the Rate Slider is at Turtle position. J1 is reduced by 20% giving limits of 957 to 3140, J3 and J4 are reduced by 60% for a range of 1230 to 2866.

The charts for J1/altitude show a lag between input from the controller and aircraft response, but not too excessive and likely within normal reaction time of the barometer. Range limits with the Rate Slider at Rabbit position are normal, but the range values with the Rate Slider at Turtle position are considerable less than they should be. If we look at the values from 00:55 to 01:18 we see a max throttle up value around 2600 and max throttle down at about 1500 (a difference of about 550 counts or 40% instead of the normal 80% of full range). This explains the the great hesitancy to land.

J3 and J4 show tracking to be well within limits when the Rate Slider is in Rabbit position, but too narrow a range when the Rate Slider is at Turtle position. They are at 40% instead of 60% of the full range values.

The conclusion I come to is that the Rate Slider was not at the center position when the first part of the controller calibration was exited. It was most likely a bit toward the Rabbit end of travel. I would suggest checking the sticks, Rate Slider, Tilt Slider, and Pan Knob in the Hardware Monitor to ensure that they follow movements both slow and fast without lagging or jittering. For the sticks make sure they return to null position with both slow and fast stick movements. If that is achieved, then redo the controller calibration ensuring that the sticks, Pan Knob, Tilt slider, and Rate slider are at the center (null) positions before exiting the first part of the calibration. The center position for the Rate and Tilt Sliders are a bit odd in positioning. Before starting the calibration note the positions at the maximum travel and mark the center position as half way between the two. This should be very close to the position you hear the beep from the controller when these sliders are centered. use this marked centerposition as the one to place the sliders in before exiting the first part of the calibration.

After redoing the calibration repeat the standard flight.
1) Rate slider to Rabbit and set RTH value to 60 feet.
2) Liftoff to about 30 feet.
3) J1 forward for 3 seconds, pause for 3 seconds, J1 down for 3 seconds
4) J3 forward for 3 seconds, pause for 3 seconds, J3 back for 3 seconds
5) J4 left for 3 seconds, pause for 3 seconds, J4 right for 3 seconds
6) J2 left for 3 seconds, pause for 3 seconds, J2 right for 3 seconds
7) Place the Rate Slider to Turtle position
8) Repeat steps 3, 4, 5, and 6 while in Turtle mode
9) Return the Rate Slider to Rabbit position and bring aircraft to the launch area and land holding the throttle down until the motors go to idle.
10) This is new! Take off again to an altitude of 30 feet, go out 50 feet or more then switch to Home mode and let the aircraft land itself.

Upload the flightlog after completing this and further analysis will be done.
Steady rain today so I may not get to test flight, will do the controller calibration in the shop, I have did it before to fix J3 not centering and now it is important to make sure the rabbit mode is centered and camera pan slider, not just the beep but the numeric values before exitting. When flying the test pattern, landing gear up or down ? Lastly , the batteries I am using are the original Yuneec, approx 3 yrs old, I have a couple UltraX spares, I will charge and try them. Thanks so much and will attach flight logs to this post later Dave I

Before the start of the calibration, side sliders SHOULD BE CENTERED. After that is late!

the rabbit mode is centered and camera pan slider, not just the beep but the numeric values
Not the beep or the numbers. Ignore those. The sliders must be physically centered. Wherever you leave them will become the center beep and number when you exit to the next stage.

Steady rain today so I may not get to test flight, will do the controller calibration in the shop, I have did it before to fix J3 not centering and now it is important to make sure the rabbit mode is centered and camera pan slider, not just the beep but the numeric values before exitting. When flying the test pattern, landing gear up or down ? Lastly , the batteries I am using are the original Yuneec, approx 3 yrs old, I have a couple UltraX spares, I will charge and try them. Thanks so much and will attach flight logs to this post later Dave I
Your choice for gear up or down while flying. When you do the one to end with an RTH have the gear up. The RTH should lower them automatically. That will be a good functional test.

Before the start of the calibration, side sliders SHOULD BE CENTERED. After that is late!
I am a little confused, I just did the controller calibration, both sticks and both sliders are all at approximately 2048 centered and passed, but you say ignore the numbers, how do I physically center them, just by eye, or should I go back and do it again with being centered and passing the last calibration, it is still raining so no chance today for a flight, and I am getting constant compass warnings, I am guessing from removing realsense module but I will calibrate compass before test flight

"Center" is a little hard to define on the sliders. It's a little more "up" from perpendicular to the case than you might assume. I'll go make some pictures. In the meantime, you can get an idea of your results by checking the "Final Output Display". Double click the battery voltage icon to bring up the display. You can't use the display to check rabbit/turtle, but you can check the camera tilt and get an idea of where real center is. If you have the slider correctly centered during calibration (and assuming you are the only guy on earth to have perfect Yuneec pots), the scale will be 100% on both ends. If one end reads101%, it's a big clue you were off center towards the other end. (101 is the max number it can display). If you have 101% on one end and more than a percent or two less than 100 on the other end, you were off center. Confusing, is it not? And it will likely shift a little every time you move the slider up and down. If both are above 98% every time, I'm reasonably happy.

"Center" is a little hard to define on the sliders. It's a little more "up" from perpendicular to the case than you might assume. I'll go make some pictures. In the meantime, you can get an idea of your results by checking the "Final Output Display". Double click the battery voltage icon to bring up the display. You can't use the display to check rabbit/turtle, but you can check the camera tilt and get an idea of where real center is. If you have the slider correctly centered during calibration (and assuming you are the only guy on earth to have perfect Yuneec pots), the scale will be 100% on both ends. If one end reads101%, it's a big clue you were off center towards the other end. (101 is the max number it can display). If you have 101% on one end and more than a percent or two less than 100 on the other end, you were off center. Confusing, is it not? And it will likely shift a little every time you move the slider up and down. If both are above 98% every time, I'm reasonably happy.
Just checked the final output display, channel 7 camera tilt registered the same on both ends and I was able with finessing to get it to center at 0 % should any other channels be significant, channel i was 70% up and 10 % down, I should try to get the turtle hare in approx the same position ?

Just checked the final output display, channel 7 camera tilt registered the same on both ends and I was able with finessing to get it to center at 0 % should any other channels be significant, channel i was 70% up and 10 % down, I should try to get the turtle hare in approx the same position ?
If you mean Channel 1, it should be 80% up and 20% down if the rate slider is in Turtle. It should be 100% up and 0% down with the rate slider in Rabbit. See if these pictures represent where you set as "center" for the sliders during calibration:

Centered_R3.jpg Edit: Changed picture to show from both ends

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval