Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

FINALLY! An in-depth comparison review of the Typhoon H vs Phantom 4

Interesting video, so basically it's junk. I didn't buy mine for video photography, just property surveillance so I'm happy with my H. The video certainly was well rehearsed as far as focusing on the fine points of the P4, interesting why no wizard was included.Either way you look at it, that video destroys the H.

As most won't admit being a Yuneec forum the comparison was pretty much spot on.

Most of these comparisons I was aware of before buying the H but I purchased anyway.

The disappointing camera and software just added insult to injury with the H.

I hope Yuneec will up there game somewhat with firmware and software upgrades
but truthfully I am not expecting much out of Yuneec because of there past history.

Tom's Tech time channel is usually a "help" channel for DJI owners. In this video he compares plenty of key features of the Typhoon H to the Phantom 4.

It is a long comparison, so grab some popcorn and enjoy the show!

A very fair and balanced comparison video. Those comparisons and results very much mirrored my experiences with both craft and how those experiences influenced my final purchasing decision.

Another guy that doesn't do a hover position comparison outside the range of the ground prox sensors on the phantom. Hover at 20 meters and compare....geeez
Maybe he doesn't know....or mabe another dji fanboy??

OK you may not like what I'm about to say, but I thought the video was pretty much correct on all topics covered. The points awarded should be ignored because that is just one persons made up point system.

I don't own a P4 but I do own a P3 and have had a P2 in the past. The only people who should find the video to be biased or negative towards the Typhoon H, are those who bought the Typhoon H and hoped that it would be an awesome drone that would be as good as a DJI product or better. I can honestly say I thought that and I was not the only one as some of the media jumped on board as well from what they saw at CES. The hype was there, so I jumped in line to buy the Typhoon H like many of you did.

Because the Typhoon H received plenty of media buzz, everyone will now compare it to the existing leader, which is DJI and DJI will keep coming out on top because their product is far more refined.

Some may think that Yuneec may have over promised and under delivered but I personally think it was the media and all of us on the forums who saw a magical rainbow with dancing unicorns and hoped for things that never existed in the first place.

Far all of the Typhoon H owners who think every review of the Typhoon H vs the P4 is biased, give your head a shake. This entire forum has threads complaining about all the issues that Tom and other reviewers have pointed out in their comparison reviews.

One item I wish Tom and others would have included is Customer Support. I personally have found Yuneec Customer Support to be really good. My experience with DJI customer support is also good, but you have to go through plenty more peaks and valleys to get what you want.

In summary, the Typhoon H is what it is. If people keep comparing it in reviews to a DJI product it will always come out second. If people just review the Typhoon H for what it is, then it looks pretty good. Some on this forum have been so disappointed in the Typhoon H that they have returned it and gone with another product. I personally like the Typhoon H and find it an excellent addition to my series of Phantoms. I have my fingers crossed that Yuneec will fix many of the issues we have all brought forward over the past months(s).

We all have different criteria, and will make up reasons to justify our prejudices. Things like pushing down on the top casing to test how 'strong' it is, or skipping over the reliance on a third party tablet.. well...

Personally, I think the Typhoon platform is good. On the other hand, Yuneec really need to work on their software. With Real Sense and the power of a full tablet to hand, there is no technical reason why they can't deliver a whole lot more than they launched with. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with a new platform, but it's going to be their choice how to react to users' initial experiences.

Reactions: banned user
Sorry All, If he is a DJI FanBoy or not, He was spot on in his comparison!, Everything he stated was exactly what I have already found to be true owning and flying "both" platforms! What Yuneec needs to do(as they know it too!) Is make the corrections to be the competitor they want and need to be!:rolleyes:

Didn't really see a lot of whining there, but I would have scored things a little closer. Still, there's really no question that the current YTH hardware, software, and firmware have some significant shortcomings. Some of these may/will be addressed through firmware/software revisions. Some are hardware-based and are not likely to be fixed, except through consumer exchanges or warranty repairs. Or by purchasing replacements like better antennas, a better lens, etc. Shouldn't really expect to have to do that for a 'brand new' system.

The short flight time is not a surprise given the wt of the system and the battery capacity. The real disappointments are the app and its dearth of features and the basic performance of the camera and support electronics. The app could be fixed if Yuneec decides to make the effort. The camera system is more problematic. Poor lens choice, poor QC on setting focus, possible poor QC on lens mount alignment, and bizarre apparent limits on bitrate (was the reviewer correct on those?!) are not things one expects to find on a 2016 camera drone.

Yuneec had better get cracking on some significant firmware/software revisions to fix those things that can be addressed with the current hardware. It would also be nice to see some formal statement regarding the extremely common finding of focus problems. At the very least, end users should be permitted to adjust focus without losing warranty coverage. No excuse for shipping a flying camera that doesn't produce sharp images of objects at infinity!

Reactions: FlushVision
Well that was painful to watch, and I'll explain. First kudos to @CAPTAINDRONE for his helpful remarks and conclusions on these two sUAV's. I bought the Typhoon-H for a couple of reasons: I wanted a RTF aeriel platform because I didn't have the time to build one up from the ground myself, and also because I hate DJI. I loved the look of the Typhoon-H and absolutely hate the toyish and (IMHO) lame look of the Phantom. So I jumped in thinking I would probably get something "almost as good" as the DJI product but much more cooler looking. Wrong.

As I said, I hate DJI. I have my reasons and won't go into that here. Having said that, I am simply blown away at the camera and feature set that comes with the Phantom as compared to Yuneec. I wish wish WISH I could have a Typhoon-H with a P4 feature set. At present that is simply not to be but who knows what Yuneec will come up with in the future.

My particular Typhoon-H has been nothing but problematic since the day I received it. It pains me to say it but I knew deep down the P4 was probably a better machine mostly because DJI has been through four iterations and has had the time to get most of the major issues solved. Clearly, the Typhoon can be considered a Mk.1 or at best Mk1.5 if you consider the Typhoon-Q before it. After viewing the video I was so tempted to go running out and buy the P4 not for its looks but for the camera and feature set. But I shall hold off on doing so because I simply can't stomach the idea of flying around with another DJI toy-looking product, no matter HOW good the thing is tech wise.

I'll grant that this Tom guy who did the comparison video is just another DJI fanboy, but unless you're completely biased or just plain stubborn you have to admit his points are right on. Simply a devastating review IMHO. :(

Last edited:
Well that was painful to watch, and I'll explain. First kudos to @CAPTAINDRONE for his helpful remarks and conclusions on these two sUAV's. I bought the Typhoon-H for a couple of reasons: I wanted a RTF aeriel platform because I didn't have the time to build one up from the ground myself, and also because I hate DJI. I loved the look of the Typhoon-H and absolutely hate the toyish and (IMHO) lame look of the Phantom. So I jumped in thinking I would probably get something "almost as good" as the DJI product but much more cooler looking. Wrong.

As I said, I hate DJI. I have my reasons and won't go into that here. Having said that, I am simply blown away at the camera and feature set that comes with the Phantom as compared to Yuneec. I wish wish WISH I could have a Typhoon-H with a P4 feature set. At present that is simply not to be but who knows what Yuneec will come up with in the future.

My particular Typhoon-H has been nothing but problematic since the day I received it. It pains me to say it but I knew deep down the P4 was probably a better machine mostly because DJI has been through four iterations and has had the time to get most of the major issues solved. Clearly, the Typhoon can be considered a Mk.1 or at best Mk1.5 if you consider the Typhoon-Q before it. After viewing the video I was so tempted to go running out and buy the P4 not for its looks but for the camera and feature set. But I shall hold off on doing so because I simply can't stomach the idea of flying around with another DJI toy-looking product, no matter HOW good the thing is tech wise.

I'll grant the this Tom guy who did the comparison video is just another DJI fanboy, but unless you're completely biased or just plain stubborn you have to admit his points are right on. Simply a devastating review IMHO. :(

Oh, +1

I am simply blown away at the camera and feature set that comes with the Phantom as compared to Yuneec. I wish wish WISH I could have a Typhoon-H with a P4 feature set. At present that is simply not to be but who knows what Yuneec will come up with in the future.

:(

I think you nailed it right there, this has been my wish also.

I have a good feeling DJI's soon to be released next bird is going to be just that and more!
Time to hand the H off to the grandkids to play with.

A pretty fair comparison overall.
The main reason I went the Typhoon H way was mainly about being able to see it. Bigger and blacker. This is one thing that isn't so good with the P4. Indeed, if the P4 was black I may have considered it.

Normally, I would have held off from buying a newly released drone knowing that such a drone is bound to have some issues, hopefully to be later rectified, but circumstances were such that I didn't have that luxury this time.

Reactions: DroneClone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval