Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec's Typhoon H support is dead

Reaction score
By now it should be clear to everyone that Yuneec is no longer supporting the Typhoon H with firmware updates.
From messages on this board they are also apparently no longer supporting firmware updates for the 520.

It appears Yuneec's marketing strategy is to sell and support a drone model for a year or two, then stop supporting it in the hope that the mark (the customer) will buy a later model at an exorbitant markup.

When this becomes widely known by potential buyers, no one will be buying Yuneec drones and owners of yuneec drones will find there's no buyers to take then off their hands.

Reactions: Alain01
By now it should be clear to everyone that Yuneec is no longer supporting the Typhoon H with firmware updates.
From messages on this board they are also apparently no longer supporting firmware updates for the 520.

It appears Yuneec's marketing strategy is to sell and support a drone model for a year or two, then stop supporting it in the hope that the mark (the customer) will buy a later model at an exorbitant markup.

When this becomes widely known by potential buyers, no one will be buying Yuneec drones and owners of yuneec drones will find there's no buyers to take then off their hands.

I plan on purchasing the H+.:D I to was skeptical, but look at it this way technology moves fast and as long as my H flies that all that counts for now.

Waldo, you put forth a LOT of assumptions.

If I use your logic then no one would want to buy a 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500.

As long as parts are available and shops that will provide repair service I don't see the huge problem.

BTW, if you currently buy a TH 480 you can still buy a Yuneec YES! service plan.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The Typhoon H had some teething problems; but updates fixed that, it is now the platform we all hoped it would be. A hexacopter with a twelve megapixel camera, retractable landing gear, 360 rotatable camera, flight modes with independent camera control AND a remote with built in monitor all for effectively 699.00 dollars US? I've been flying mine a year, never updated, don't intend to. My bird has been a very solid platform.

I can see how some could find fault with Yuneec customer service BUT, of all the things they've done wrong - the Typhoon H is their one shining example of - finally getting it right. Now if they can execute the Typhoon H plus with a similar path but a better rollout, I'll be on board for that one too.

They'll probably release an update along with the release of the H+. The rep said the newer 20mp camera will be backward compatible with the original H, but the older cameras won't work on the newer H+. It's going to need some kind of firmware update to use it. As long as this holds to be true. But I'll wait and see.

The most interesting thing will be how much the 20MP 1” sensor will cost if sold separately for TH480s.

The E90 is what, 1299.00? I'm guessing it will be pretty close to that:eek:
Close, I am guessing more closer to the $2000 USD mark. I mean it is a 1" sensor, so that is the selling feature on it vs just the 20MP. You could slap a 20MP on anything and it would be ok, but add to that the 1" and you have added value to the sale in the consumers eye.

Everything has an expiration date, and technology moves and allows nothing to remain stationary. In some ways Yuneec is better than DJI in allowing a single platform to remain in place for a much longer period of time, providing firmware updates that provide expanded functionality instead of releasing a new model. i do not believe they have stopped upping the ante with the 520, thinking more they are stalled in that area because of the impending release of the H Plus. They likely don't have enough staff to spread across all the new platforms and the 520 at the same time.

We should be grateful we aren't faced with having to buy a new platform for every little minor improvement or correction. The Phantom and Mavic lines are prime examples of that. As for obsoleting previous platforms, they all do it. Try obtaining support for a P2. It's done and you can either go forward to a P4 or go home. We should understand that manufacturers make their money through the sales of product, and when sales slow down it's time for a new product.

Reactions: biltno
Close, I am guessing more closer to the $2000 USD mark. I mean it is a 1" sensor, so that is the selling feature on it vs just the 20MP. You could slap a 20MP on anything and it would be ok, but add to that the 1" and you have added value to the sale in the consumers eye.

If the Yuneec Press release and the Yuneec Rep at CES are correct, the RealSense version is currently priced at $1799 with the standard version at $1499 - both including camera and transmitter.
Has there been a retraction of this or did I miss some conflicting pricing? I can't imagine Yuneec pricing the camera alone higher than the full boat package but perhaps I'm wrong.

If the Yuneec Press release and the Yuneec Rep at CES are correct, the RealSense version is currently priced at $1799 with the standard version at $1499 - both including camera and transmitter.
Has there been a retraction of this or did I miss some conflicting pricing? I can't imagine Yuneec pricing the camera alone higher than the full boat package but perhaps I'm wrong.
I just realized I put USD....meant CAD. Sometimes I forget you guys are beneath us.... ;)

If that's the case then my image quality improvement will be to have CarolinaDronz install and focus a new lens for my older CGO3+ for the more reasonable sum of $140 + S&H

Carolina Dronz Upgrade Lens 82 Degrees for Yuneec Typhoon H CGO3, CGO3+

I saw that video you posted a while back and though I haven't been following the 520 for some time, I'm thinking the quality of that video, or the lack there of (in the E90's case), has to do with some of the settings; possibly some that aren't user accessible. But we know what that 1" Sony sensor is capable of because it is the same one in the Phantom 4 Advanced and plus series, and the imagery from those camera's are significantly better than a 12MP image such as we get from the CG03+. I'm hoping that by the time the H plus with C23 comes out they've got the camera dialed in a little better.

In the mean time, I am still pleased with the value the Typhoon H has delivered for; going on a year now. :)

Oh, I'm pleased with my TH480 and bought another one in December. At the price offered it was quite a buy and now also affords a second ST16 for "Team Mode".

When you use "AUTO" settings for stills or video you're not getting the most out of any camera, video or stills.

The trouble with video production IMHO is the learning curve whether its DaVinci Resolve, iMovie, Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere Pro, etc. Its a commitment.

I wonder how many 480's are left on the shelf, or if Yuneec is still producing them. Looking back I should have picked up the deal from Yuneec for $639. Depending on how many they need or want to sell before releasing the H+, most likely there will be a fire sale for the 480 and I'll get one then just because. Even at $699 there is nothing on the market that can touch the H480 for what it does. However it lacks certain features I want in a camera machine (hint Arducopter), so it would be another fun flyer.

The 520 is out for me. The H+ is on the radar, but it depends on what it ends up being once officially released. The problem is May-June is too late in the year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval