Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How To: Basic procedures with the H520 and cameras

arruntus

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
[Mod Edit]

A BIG thanks to @arruntus for putting together this thread... which pretty much has most of the instructional videos on the 520... :cool:
===================================================

Basic Procedures (Getting Started)

All the basic steps to make a flight. Spread arms, mount propellers, battery......................... fly.

Yuneec H520 gimbal calibration

Bind E50, E90 and CGOET to H520

H520 without camera, manual Bind

Bind the ST16S when you do not have any cameras connected to the H520.

H520 - Light indication of flight modes

A brief explanation of the flight modes, how to know what flight mode we are in and the controls of the transmitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tap Fly function on the H520

It is a function that allows the H520 to be sent to a point indicated on the ST16S display. To interrupt the execution of this function, just move the sticks.

Rotor Redundancy Mode

In this case it is not a procedure but one of the most important characteristics of a hexacopter against a quadcopter. Being able to lose an engine and not crash.

In the case of a propeller or rotor issue, the H520 will fly on 5 rotors and land safely

H520 Emergency Shutdown

In case of problems we can make an emergency stop.

Transmitter Loss Fail-safe

What happens when the ST16S signal is lost?

H520 Camera Hotswap

A simple video where Dan shows us how to hot-swap the cameras.

Last edited:
How to create survey missions.

Plan your Flight from your desktop

Procedure for creating a flight plan on the desktop or laptop computer.

If you want to pass the flight plan to the ST16S to be able to fly it you have here the procedure.

Basic procedures with the H520 and cameras

Execution of a survey mission, behaviour and options

From the beginning of a mission, as it develops, different situations and end of the mission.

Flight plan via Waypoints

Dan explains how to make a flight plan using waypoints and the options it allows.

3D survey of a building

We see how the previously planned flight of a building is executed.

Last edited:
Official video of accelerometer calibration

Official video of compass calibration

Yuneec H520 accelerometer calibration and gimbal calibration

H520 - Calibrate ST16S sticks and controls

If you have to calibrate the ST16S sticks and controls, these are the steps to follow.

1.- Check the status of the sticks and transmitter controls

In DataPilot we press the menu

calibrate-sticks-1-png.7584

2.- Within the menu we must activate the hidden and advanced menu pressed several times on the menu button until a warning dialog box appears.

calibrate-sticks-2-png.7585

Warning!!!! Using the advanced mode is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Do it with caution and without changing anything you don't know what it's for.
In advanced mode, more options appear and even more so if you are connected to the H520.

3.- To check the values between which the transmitter controls oscillate, click on the Channels button. This option only exits if you are connected to the H520.

calibrate-sticks-3-png.7590

If the numerical range of a control is not correct or does not focus well on the midpoint.....

4.- We proceed to calibrate by pressing the Rc Calibration button.

In order to do that, we must disconnect from the H520. We proceed to shut down the aircraft and press the Start Calibration button.

calibrate-sticks-4-png.7586

We must take all the sticks and sliders (the two rear and the rotating front that controls the camera panning) to their highest and lowest values several times until the indicators turn green. It is important to leave the sliders in their mid-point (in the rear ones we are guided by the mid-point mark).

5.- Once we have all the indicators in green and the sliders in the middle point we press the Stop Calibration button.

calibrate-sticks-5-png.7587

The process is complete, we can turn on the H520 and check that everything is correct.

Speed limits for manual flight

How to activate indoor mode

Last edited:
Reactions: Flying eyeball
How to select joystick modes

Yuneec UpdatePilot (Update via OTA)

What does this application do?
Update your Yuneec H520 and your ST16S Ground Station!

UpdatePilot installs the latest versions of
  • H520 Firmware (Flight Control, Gimbal and Camera)
  • ST16S Apps (DataPilot, UpdatePilot)

Download the Google Play Store application and update.

Yuneec UpdatePilot - Android Apps on Google Play

All the steps to install the UpdatePilot and update the H520 platform in English with Terrestrial Imaging.

Official video explaining the orbital flight function.

Reset the ST16S to factory settings and update

Last edited:
Yuneec CGOET for the H520

Configuration and features.

How to edit the thermal images of the CGOET obtained with the H520

How to edit the video in which the two video tracks come.

Lumafusion CGO-ET How to

Another way to work with the thermal images and on this occasion thanks to Haydn

CGO-ET - how to view and edit "hidden" thermal video

Uwe Loewer explains how to "extract" the thermal images from a video recorded with a CGOET. If you don't have an advanced video editor you can use this procedure

Reset the camera wifi password

The default wifi password for connecting the camera is 1234567890. If you change it and cannot remember the new password, you need to reset the camera in order to reconnect the camera.

It is necessary to press the hidden button at the bottom of the camera at the same time that you press the turn on button. Keep thouse button press for 5 to 6 second. The password is now returned to the default password.

The next step is to connect the table to the e90 using the android wifi wihouth usimg the data pilot. When you restart you will automatically have the link connected.

47f8c506-a854-4d25-9921-a14a02c2b166-jpeg.7509

Thanks @hoynader for getting the information ;)

Lower the landing gear

Sometimes, no matter what is the reason, the landing gear stays up and the switch that allows you to lower it does nothing. What should we do to solve it?
  • We must remove the camera from the H520.
  • We shut down the aircraft.
  • We turn the aircraft upside down.
  • We turn the H520 on (still face down), and it will automatically lower the landing gear.

Transfer flight plans from desktop computer to ST16S

In order not to repeat it twice since it occupies a lot I put the link directly to the post.

Changing the E90 dampers

Video where we see how to change the dampers of the E90, put the safety catch and some curious thing.

Last edited:
Reset the camera wifi password

The default wifi password for connecting the camera is 1234567890. If you change it and cannot remember the new password, you need to reset the camera in order to reconnect the camera.

It is necessary to press the hidden button at the bottom of the camera at the same time that you press the turn on button. Keep thouse button press for 5 to 6 second. The password is now returned to the default password.

The next step is to connect the table to the e90 using the android wifi wihouth usimg the data pilot. When you restart you will automatically have the link connected.

47f8c506-a854-4d25-9921-a14a02c2b166-jpeg.7509

Thanks @hoynader for getting the information ;)

Thank to you for all the help too.

Accessing Log files on your Yuneec H520 or H PLus

H520 - Structure Scan

Official video of Corridor Scan function

H520 - Terrain Follow

Last edited:
The first thing is to thank @claudius62 for the effort put into discovering this "function". Hopefully Yuneec will implement it quickly and simply in the contextual menu of the flight window. I think it's worth it.

HOW TO USE THE "R.O.I" IN MANUAL FLIGHT

The function "R.O.I" can be used in circuit programming in "DataPilotPlanner".
But one can, and it is very advantageous, to use a "R.O.I" in MANUAL flight to focus on a single objective to film or to photograph.
This is very simple.
Just enter "DataPilotPlanner", put a "R.O.I" on the objective to do, to set the altitude of the subject to film (caution altitude is relative to the Home altitude).
Do not forget to complete Mission Start anyway and do not check the speed because we will remain in manual control.

Once finished, send the mission to the H520.
Return to the flight screen where the slider appears at the bottom of the screen to start the mission.

Before starting the mission, lower the two switches "Tilt Mode" and "Pan Mode".
This will eventually be able to reassemble the aim on the "R.O.I".
These switches will be put back in the up position before the end of the mission to disconnect the camera sighting on the "R.O.I".

Dragging the Slider to the right
1) THE CAMERA points immediately towards the goal to reach (Precaution see *)
2) The engines start. Take off manually or with the automatic Take-off.

Now you can fly freely and the camera will stay fixed on the "R.O.I"

(*) The camera has an angle of + 30 ° to -90 °. It is obvious not to program a point of aim that will be too high compared to the H520 at takeoff because the camera points immediately to takeoff to this point. I think the cardan is not going to like it at all and that will disturb you during a good moment.
For that, I recommend to create the mission, to save it. Take off to get up at the hight to the "R.O.I". Send the mission to the H520 at this time and begin the flight.

Before posing the H520, return both "Tilt Mode" and "Pan Mode" switches to the up position to disconnect it from the "R.O.I" function.
Caution, stop the"R.O.I" if the point becomes too high compared to the camera.

Posing the H520 ends the mission.

From there, several manual missions "R.O.I." can be linked by doing several "R.O.I." independent.
We take care of "R.O.I." 1, in stationary one loads the mission "R.O.I." 2 we launch, the camera will get this point, we do what we have to do, etc ...

Landing Gear Motor Assembly Repair

Last edited:
E90 Fix for Gimbal Vibration

Thx @Steve Carr

If you have a E90 camera that buzzes or vibrates this may fix the problem.

Download the attached file.
Unzip (uncompress) the file. The file name should be gimbal.yuneec
Copy the file to a formatted sd card that you normally use in the camera.
Install the card in the camera and watch the video below (the fix is the same for the C23 & E90)

NOTE: Make sure you remove the card after you are finished. Then format the card.

Attachments

• gimbal fix.zip
    127 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: ArltTech
I add procedure.

Lower the landing gear

Sometimes, no matter what is the reason, the landing gear stays up and the switch that allows you to lower it does nothing. What should we do to solve it?
  • We must remove the camera from the H520.
  • We shut down the aircraft.
  • We turn the aircraft upside down.
  • We turn the H520 on (still face down), and it will automatically lower the landing gear.

Reactions: DroneCalzone
I add another procedure.

• We design the flight plan in DataPilotPlanner (the desktop version of DataPilot) and save it. In Windows, the path where it is saved is "C:\Users\user\Documents\DataPilotPlanner\Missions". The path may vary slightly depending on the operating system. It is advisable to save the names of the flight plans without spaces and the file extension is ".plan".
  • For convenience and easy access we created a desktop shortcut to that path.
  • At the ST16S we go to the desk. For convenience we put the direct access to the File Manager.
Plans 1.png

• For our own security and to avoid the possibility of damaging the operating system we always work on the External SD Card. In the folder structure we can see what we are interested in, Missions. We leave for another time two other very interesting folders, Logs and Telemetry. Knowing that flight plans are stored in the Missions folder we can easily copy the missions we create on the computer to the ST16S.
Plans 2.png
The two possibilities that we are going to use most of all would be to copy the mission files directly from the computer to the ST16S by connecting the transmitter with a USB cable to the computer or to set up an e-mail account in the ST16S and receive them by e-mail and then copy the files to the Missions folder.
  • The next step would be to pass the missions from the SD card to DataPilot. We're going to the Vehicle menu. To copy missions from the SD card to Datapilot we press the Import Mission button. To copy missions from the ST16S to the SD card, press the Export Data button.

Plans 3.png

• We already have the mission in DataPilot, we proceed to load it through the Sync menu. The Load From File... button allows us to load the mission and the Save To File... button allows us to save it in DataPilot.

Plans 4.png

With these procedures we can transfer missions from the computer to our transmitter and vice versa.

Plans 5.png

P.D.: It's much easier to understand it with a video but my English is very bad, I'm sorry. I hope you understand how the procedure works.

Last edited:
Changing the E90 dampers

Video where we see how to change the dampers of the E90, put the safety catch and some curious thing.

arruntus you have been very busy, thank you for this information, even though I don't own a 520.

• Love
Reactions: Mike Irish
arruntus you have been very busy, thank you for this information, even though I don't own a 520.

I only do what I would like to find in a forum. It's hard to look for something after talking, many times the information is lost. Doing small compilations helps newcomers and also those who have been in the forum for some time but don't remember where they saw it. I don't mind doing it, I do it for my comfort too ;)

Basic Procedures (Getting Started)

All the basic steps to make a flight. Spread arms, mount propellers, battery......................... fly.

Great work Arruntus! What would be both nice and very helpful to users would be the forum staff moving your instructional efforts to a new thread and making that thread a sticky to enable users to locate the info without having to wade through multiple pages to locate them. Doing that would minimize the need to answer the same questions repeatedly.

Yeah, that's the problem of a lifetime in the forums. People who do not look for the answers to their doubts or people who are not able to find the answers or they just don't know how to search, and many times they ask the same question over and over again.

We have been here since the beginning and we have almost certainly read everything, but as time goes by there will be more and more post and new owners will arrive and with a lot of volume it becomes a more complicated task. I think we are still few, in a few months we will be many more.

Gathering all this information at once costs a lot and it gets heavy, but little by little it doesn't take much effort :)

All the steps to install the UpdatePilot and update the H520 platform in English with Terrestrial Imaging.

Tap Fly function on the H520

It is a function that allows the H520 to be sent to a point indicated on the ST16S display. To interrupt the execution of this function, just move the sticks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop